SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] Too many Connections

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
irninja

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] Too many Connections

Post by irninja »

Ive finally gone through multiple support forums, and have everything running correctly (thanks to the awesome peeps here). I opened the floodgates last night (let 20ish people know about the forums), and now when I go to visit this morning im getting this message.
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
My provider says im not even using 1% of the my bandwidth allocation. And its not on their end....

Any step by step guides on how to fix this?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] Too many Connections

Post by Pit$Bull »

That error comes from your hosts database server, you will have to contact them.
irninja

Post by irninja »

From what ive read, and the host said as well, is that it is due to bad coding. But ill look more into it. The issue with my host is considered "open" and they are looking into it. But from what theyve told me so far, its due to the forums opening up too many connections with the sql database.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I also frequently get this problem.

The host will always blame the code and the programmers would always blame the host.

If it is the latter what would be grand is if there is a step by step guideline as to what to send to the server admin in order to allow more simultaneous DB connections.
mitchboy999

Post by mitchboy999 »

buksida wrote:I also frequently get this problem.

The host will always blame the code and the programmers would always blame the host.

If it is the latter what would be grand is if there is a step by step guideline as to what to send to the server admin in order to allow more simultaneous DB connections.
I will bet you money that you are on a free host right? Hosts that provide free sites must protect their servers from overloading by limiting connections. It is not phpBB...

You might want to try paid hosting?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'll take your bet because I do pay for hosting.

Now, anything constructive to add such as what exactly do I request the host do? Which files need editing? What cpanel settings need changing? mySql settings, php.ini ???? Someone must know!
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”