reCaptcha

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
badger413

reCaptcha

Post by badger413 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

I have reCaptcha as my module setting.

I registered on their site for the keys (public/private).

Added the keys to the config and Saved.

I go to register but it doesn't show the reCaptcha image. What am I doing wrong?

phpbb version: 3.0.7-PL1

Help?

Thanks

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: reCaptcha

Post by narqelion » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:43 am

The issue is with your third party style, CSF1, it is not compatible with the board version you are running. The latest update for that style appears to be 3.0.5. There are also numerous other issues with the style, I suggest you switch to one that has been updated to work with 3.0.7. In the meantime you can switch to the default Prosilver or Subsilver2 and the reCaptcha should work fine. :)

badger413

Post by badger413 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:04 am

issues? it seems to be working fine for us. When will they update this to 3.0.7?

Rahber
Former Team Member
Name: Rahber

Post by Rahber » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

up gradation of theme totally depend on style author
if you are that much interested in theme and recaptcha why dont you update the theme yourself ? you need to have a little knowledge about phpbb themes and how they work before doing that
get code changes from here http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus. ... 0.5&code=1
and use the subsilver2 code changes and edit your theme to work with your module

somethingrandom

Re: reCaptcha and 3.0.7-PL1

Post by somethingrandom » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:09 pm

It appears that someone is able to use reCAPTCHA on phpBB3, but I've dredged this forum and Google for a definitive answer or a pointer to a current official mod and I'm not finding it. I found what appears to be a beta version (1.0.0 B1), however the installation instructions appear to reference code that is not in my installation. (includes/ucp/ucp_register.php

Code: Select all

// Visual Confirmation handling
			$wrong_confirm = false;
This leads me to think I've strayed down the wrong path. Any suggestions? Much as I like the idea behind reCAPTCHA -- stopping spambots while digitizing old books and newspapers -- the main idea is to stop the bots. Is it the best solution? My forum is drowning in a flood of spam and I need to give the long-suffering volunteer moderators a break.

Any assistance appreciated.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 am

somethingrandom wrote:It appears that someone is able to use reCAPTCHA on phpBB3, but I've dredged this forum and Google for a definitive answer or a pointer to a current official mod and I'm not finding it.
There is no MOD required. Support for reCaptcha is built in to the current version of phpBB.
Just update to the current version.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

modtang

Post by modtang » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:55 am

ric323 wrote:There is no MOD required. Support for reCaptcha is built in to the current version of phpBB.
Just update to the current version.
I am using a theme I modified with code I grabbed from the prosilver theme but I cannot get the reCaptcha to appear. Can someone point me in the direction of instructions on how to manually edit a theme to get this plugin to work? Thanks.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 am

As has been said before, you need to update your CSF1 style to the latest version. If you are unwilling (or unable) to update it yourself, you need to ask the style author for an updated version or use another style that is compatible with phpBB 3.0.7.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

rtomo
Name: Rottenbacher Tamás

Post by rtomo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:50 pm

narqelion wrote:The issue is with your third party style, CSF1, it is not compatible with the board version you are running. The latest update for that style appears to be 3.0.5. There are also numerous other issues with the style, I suggest you switch to one that has been updated to work with 3.0.7. In the meantime you can switch to the default Prosilver or Subsilver2 and the reCaptcha should work fine. :)
Hy!
What is the code change, for old theme will compatible recaptcha?
What is the new codes in prosilver?

pennycsf
Name: Frank Parkinson

Post by pennycsf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:37 pm

somethingrandom wrote: This leads me to think I've strayed down the wrong path. Any suggestions? Much as I like the idea behind reCAPTCHA -- stopping spambots while digitizing old books and newspapers -- the main idea is to stop the bots. Is it the best solution? My forum is drowning in a flood of spam and I need to give the long-suffering volunteer moderators a break.

Any assistance appreciated.
If spam is the problem, look at the thread here http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1861645

I found that reCaptcha, unfortunately, is not good enough and is easily beaten by spambots!

The standard phpBB Q&A is working perfectly - no more spam!!
It's a poor day when you don't learn something!

Inquisitive

Post by Inquisitive » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:31 pm

I agree - reCaptcha doesnt seem to be stopping spammers in 3.0.8 - Just enabled it yesterday and right off the bat in a couple of hours I have about 20-30 spam accounts - with creation dates of a few minutes in between one account and the next.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”