PhpBB Caching

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Nickoneill

PhpBB Caching

Post by Nickoneill »

Hi there

I'm hoping someonee can advise me....

I have a website whose forum is on phpbb, the website is hosted by Hostgator. Hostgator have informed me that they have suspended my forum as it is taking too much space on their server (I get approx 2.5-3 million hits per month).

Hostgator suggested that I install a Caching system on the forum. I have absolutely no idea how to do this!

Help!

Cheers,

Nick
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: PhpBB Caching

Post by ric323 »

What did they actually say?
"Too much space" refers to storage on a hard drive, but then you talk about how many hits you get, and caching, which are unreleated.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Nickoneill

Post by Nickoneill »

Hi ric323

This was the reply:

Hello, I apologize, but I was forced to suspend the script "/home/blakey/public_html/forum/" as it was causing a high load on the server, and due to it affecting all of the other accounts on the system, I forced to take immediate action for the health of the server. Unfortunately I do not have any specific recommendations for this script, however, in general, adding some sort of caching mechanism, where the script does not need to generate a new page with every request, helps to lower the over load that a script will cause. Likely the original author or support group of the software that you are using will be able to help you to understand how to add something of this nature.

I replied, basically saying that they should upgrade their server & not suspend the service to a paying customer, to which they thhen replied:

Hello, Without any changes to the forum the board will cause problems with the server thus effecting the 200+ other clients hosted. Have you considered installing a caching system? The forums website should have suggestions or plugins for caching.

So basically, it looks like I've got to add a plu-in to allow caching by the looks of it. Unfortunately I'm not much of a teccy & am a bit out of my depth here. I just want my forum back online!!

Cheers

Nick
DanielCp

Post by DanielCp »

Do you have any mods installed that might cause high CPU usage? Did your host exactly specify which script/file was causing the load?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Nickoneill wrote:The forums website should have suggestions or plugins for caching.

So basically, it looks like I've got to add a plu-in to allow caching by the looks of it.
phpBB has a built-in caching which works very well, so there is no MOD (that's the exact word for AddOn/PlugIn/Extension here) which will re-invent this for the board. The culprit must be one of your installed MODs. Find out all of them with their exact name and version.
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
panzerfaust

Post by panzerfaust »

Could the gallery mod cause this?
d1m0

Post by d1m0 »

Do you have a chat or shoutbox mod installed? Generally, these are the two types of mods that can cause high server load.

If you want to stay at your current hosting plan, it would be best to disable/remove as many mods as possible.

It is also possible that your forum is simply too popular and attracts a lot of visitors. If this is the case, an upgrade to a more powerful server would be the best solution.
SiteGround Technical Support Team Member
Check out our special phpBB hosting package

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”