Founding user locked into UCP after fresh install, etc.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ggraubins

Founding user locked into UCP after fresh install, etc.

Post by ggraubins »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.7-PL1
What is your board's URL? http://www.uberstep.com/forum
Who do you host your board with? HostGator
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What styles do you currently have installed? Defaults
What language(s) is your board currently using? Defaults
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? ggraubins
What password can be used to view this issue? [removed]
When did your problem begin? Immediately after installation.
Please describe your problem. This is my first phpBB installation. I installed from scratch. The user created during the initial login (ggraubins) is being redirected to the User Control Panel upon login. The user can't navigate anywhere other than the user control panel. If the user is logged out, the board index appears -- But, once logged back in, again, cannot navigate anywhere other than the UCP.

After trying to debug a little further, I noticed that I cannot register a new user.

I can't access the php error logs through my provider right now. I've searched the forums here as well and can't find any solution. Any clues?
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4351 $)
Last edited by ric323 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Founding user locked into UCP after fresh install, etc.

Post by ric323 »

I've removed the password you posted, as I was able to use it to log into your board, and had full access to the admin panel.
I didn't observe the effect you describe at all. When I logged in, I could still see the first test post, as well as the link into the Administration Control Panel.
Are you still having that problem?
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
ggraubins

Post by ggraubins »

Thanks for the quick reply; Sorry I couldn't get back sooner myself. :) I've checked it out again and it's working now. My hunch is that my hosting provider, HostGator, might have had some resource unavailability problems. Nothing in the configuration was changed so that couldn't have been a problem...

For the registration of the new user, I changed the captcha to the default and it works just fine. I'd like to enable recaptcha so it's consistent throughout my site. So I'll go back and revisit this when my site goes live.

Thanks again for the help!

-Gregg
shaibn

Post by shaibn »

@Gregg I had the same exact issue... but for me, it was after I moved the DB from my home PC back to the hosting provider, after I had to clean out 21 thousand spam posts (since the provider, reasonably so, asked me not to abuse the shared resources during the cleanup). After doing so, I also tightened up security, and one of the things I did, was alter the way passwords are allowed.

So once I restored the DB at the hosting provider, the Board index forwarded me to the User Control Panel (hereafter UCP) -> Profile -> Edit account settings page. I had no idea what to do and how to fix it. I spent hours trying to research the web, cleaning cookies on my browser, cleaning the phpBB cache directory, removing board cookies. I even did an SSH tunnel to my office, to proxy the browser to see maybe it was my ISP.

If only (ONLY!), phpBB had told me (After forcing and forwarding me to the UCP) that my old password was no longer compliant with (my own!) the new password requirements and thus was the reason for it forwarding me to the UCP.

What a waste of 3 hours.
shaibn

Post by shaibn »

It appears that more and more users now can't access the Board index due to this password policy change I had done... and they are all sent, and without any reason as to why they are sent there, to the Edit account settings page. They don't know why and don't know that due to the policy change, they must change their password. This is even more confusing to them, since they ARE able to login, but then can't navigate the forum.

Is this a bug? Can someone confirm this behavior in the latest stable phpBB version?
shaibn

Post by shaibn »

OK! It appears I can't read English :)

It says:
Before you may continue browsing the board you are required to change your password.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”