Virtual Server - Security and other issues

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jnmann

Virtual Server - Security and other issues

Post by jnmann »

I'm about to start working with a virtual server. I've only ever used normal hosts before and wondered what the main differences will be that I will come up against.

I know that I'm basically left alone with a VS to get on with pretty much everything myself. Will I have to install software to handle security and possible attacks?

Appreciate any other advice ;)
d1m0

Re: Virtual Server - Security and other issues

Post by d1m0 »

Basically, it all depends on your VPS vendor and what sort of software and setup their hosting comes with. We cannot offer any advice unless you give more info about your virtual server such as what operating system it uses, what presintalled software it has (cPanel, Plesk), etc.

All in all, if you don't feel comfortable installing and configuring software yourself, it would be best to find a system administrator to help you with your server's setup and management.
SiteGround Technical Support Team Member
Check out our special phpBB hosting package
jnmann

Post by jnmann »

http://www.bytemark.co.uk/hosting/virtual_machines

This is the company I'm considering. Prices seem good, I only really need the basic package. They use Symbiosys which it states is ideal for beginners :-)

Appreciate any input.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

This is really beyond the scope of this forum, or indeed any forum on the board. Your prospective host would be the one to talk to.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”