Is javascript a necessary to phpbb3?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts

Is javascript a necessary to phpbb3?

Postby hunt.tw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 am

I apologize if this is a stupid question in advance. :oops:

I wonder does Javascript is a necessary to phpbb3? If the forum user did not enable js in her/his browser then what would happen?

Thanks for any tips,

Hunt Chang
hunt.tw

Re: Is javascript a necessary to phpbb3?

Postby Christian 2.0 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 am

In a standard installation, assuming the default style is prosilver they wouldn't be able to:

• Change font size using the font-size icon
  • Use the BBCode buttons to insert BBCodes (including colours / font size)
  • Click smilies and have them automatically inserted into the post
  • Receive PM alert pop-ups (if they had enabled this)
  • Enter a custom page number to jump to (when they click "Page 1 of x")
  • Use the "find a member" link/popup (when composing private messages)

So to answer your question, JavaScript isn't completely neccessary. Your users would only experience a few annoyances, though the BBCode ones can be worked-around if they know the actual BBCode and type it directly in. :)

Some styles rely a lot more on JavaScript / jQuery, so if they had javascript disabled there they may not be able to use key features within those styles.
No longer active at phpBB.com
Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Name: Christian Bullock

Postby hunt.tw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:43 am

Dear Christian 2.0,

Thanks for your kind reply and the knowledgeable information.

So according to you, js seems offer certain benifits to the web page operation. Does phpbb3 detect JS enable status in client browser automatically? or it just handle the case in a passive way?

Thanks again for your knowledge sharing, :D
hunt.tw

Postby Christian 2.0 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:51 pm

hunt.tw wrote:So according to you, js seems offer certain benifits to the web page operation.

It adds an extra level of ease. Users new to forums, who have their JavaScript disabled my struggle with things like BBCodes / Smilies. The latest recorded JavaScript usage stats (January 2008) suggested that only 5% of internet users had JavaScript disabled, I wouldn't of thought that figure would have increased, especially when you consider JavaScript libraries such as jQuery & mootools are playing such a large part in Web Design these days. :)

Does phpbb3 detect JS enable status in client browser automatically? or it just handle the case in a passive way?

As far as I know, the extent of phpBB3's JavaScript detection goes no further than using <noscript> tags for displaying content, which (without JavaScript enabled) would be inaccessible. ;)
No longer active at phpBB.com
Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Name: Christian Bullock

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum