Change phpBB link behaviour

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
VeganFanatic

Change phpBB link behaviour

Post by VeganFanatic »

I would like to know how to change phpBB or maybe have it added to the feature request so that links in forum posts and signatures open to a new window (_blank).

This would keep my site available on a tab while a user visits a referral.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Change phpBB link behaviour

Post by ric323 »

The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
VeganFanatic

Post by VeganFanatic »

I read that and it seems to be a lot of work, I was hoping it could be added as a feature to a future version of phpBB so that operators can have a choice.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

VeganFanatic wrote:I read that and it seems to be a lot of work
You paste 3 bits of code. It takes a couple of minutes. If you back the files up before you start, you can't go wrong.
VeganFanatic wrote:I was hoping it could be added as a feature to a future version of phpBB so that operators can have a choice.
As the article says it's strict XHTML code. It will take less time to do 3 pastes than to wait for a version to have it built in.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

That is the standard-compliant behavior. The right mouse button can change it,
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
VeganFanatic

Post by VeganFanatic »

Some competing forum software such as the one the NVIDIA uses open links in a new Window. The forum software that Microsoft uses gives the link maker the choice. The software that ATI/AMD uses does the same.

So I thought why can't phpBB have that as an option.

basically all that is needed is to add (target="_blank") to the code that deals with BBcode links.

Then a bool could check the config file for options as to whether its used or not.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

The choice is as near as the right mouse button.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

The MOD Prime Links already incorporates dealing with a link target, so it is already somewhat available for phpBB3.

BTW: I hate link targets which always want to force me being opened in a new container (tab or window) - this is a choice made by the user - he should configure his browser to open links in a new container (tab or window). The target="_blank" syntax was never valid in strict mode. See http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/H83.html
The objective of this technique is to avoid confusion that may be caused by the appearance of new windows that were not requested by the user. Suddenly opening new windows can disorientate or be missed completely by some users. In HTML 4.01 Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional, the target attribute can be used to open a new window, instead of automatic pop-ups. (The target attribute is deleted from HTML 4.01 Strict and XHTML 1.0 Strict.) Note that not using the target allows the user to decide whether a new window should be opened or not. Use of the target attribute provides an unambiguously machine-readable indication that a new window will open. User agents can inform the user, and can also be configured not to open the new window. For those not using assistive technology, the indication would also be available from the link text.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”