my forum won't send a registration confirmation email

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
philm00x

my forum won't send a registration confirmation email

Post by philm00x »

I've been trying to debug why my forum won't send a registration confirmation email. This is what my error log says:

E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/phpbb3/ucp.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 10060 : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>923</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtpout.secureserver.net:10060 (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
)</b><br />

I'm pretty sure I've set my email settings properly but don't understand why it's not working. I've verified with my host what the SMTP server address is and the port it is trying to access is apparently 10060. Originally it was set to 25. Would that make a difference?
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: my forum won't send a registration confirmation email

Post by ric323 »

philm00x wrote: I'm pretty sure I've set my email settings properly but don't understand why it's not working. I've verified with my host what the SMTP server address is and the port it is trying to access is apparently 10060. Originally it was set to 25. Would that make a difference?
10060 is the error number, not the port. It simply means "timeout error".
Almost certainly, the port should be 25.
This error is saying that your web server cannot connect with the SMTP server you are specifying.
Please show a screen capture of your email settings page. Make sure no passwords are visible.

Also, just to make sure your web host isn't jerking you around, please check that they haven't prevented PHP from making any connections.
In your board's ACP -> "PHP Information", what is the value for the following directive in the PHP Core section:
allow_url_fopen
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

ric323 wrote:
philm00x wrote: I'm pretty sure I've set my email settings properly but don't understand why it's not working. I've verified with my host what the SMTP server address is and the port it is trying to access is apparently 10060. Originally it was set to 25. Would that make a difference?
10060 is the error number, not the port. It simply means "timeout error".
Almost certainly, the port should be 25.
This error is saying that your web server cannot connect with the SMTP server you are specifying.
Please show a screen capture of your email settings page. Make sure no passwords are visible.

Also, just to make sure your web host isn't jerking you around, please check that they haven't prevented PHP from making any connections.
In your board's ACP -> "PHP Information", what is the value for the following directive in the PHP Core section:
allow_url_fopen
PHP Information, under PHP Core, the allow_url_fopen line is Off. How do I turn it to On?

here's a screencap of my settings...
http://i51.tinypic.com/11jncyd.jpg
d1m0

Post by d1m0 »

To enable allow_url_fopen, simply create a php.ini file and place this line in it:

Code: Select all

allow_url_fopen = on
If this doesn't help, you should contact your host and ask for help. The problem is clearly in their setup.
SiteGround Technical Support Team Member
Check out our special phpBB hosting package
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I actually figured out the problem. My host had my site in Windows mode instead of Linux mode, so the software had several incompatibilities. I contacted them to change it and now it's working. Thanks!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”