Post reply notification issue sending only to last replier

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jsoni

Post reply notification issue sending only to last replier

Post by jsoni » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Please help me here.

I am stuck with post reply notification issue.

It was stopped today after around 09h00 or so it suddenly stopped to send email notification to all member who had replied and subscribe to that topic. I tried to figured it out and went to ACP and set "E-mail package size: 0" to check the issue.

After that i noticed post reply notification has active but weard thing is that it now its sending notification email only to the last replier not to all replier of that topic. :(

I have not modified my forums since 3-4 days and it was working fine till today morning. I am not using SMTP to send notification email. I am using only phpbb default email system. I believe its php mail function.

Please take me out from this issue. :(
Last edited by AdamR on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
PM me for phpbb modification
Not phpbb or php master but can help you to gain my knowledge.
On your own risk :)
For graphics and animation PM me.
Forum:http://www.pixelandgrain.in/

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Post reply notification issue sending only to last repli

Post by AdamR » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:30 pm

Utilizing SMTP very well may fix your issue here.

Firstly, check the error logs in phpBB ( ACP > Maintenance Tab > Error log) to see if there's anything relating to mail.

A lot of hosting providers place restrictions on PHP's mail and relax these restrictions a bit with SMTP. This can cause a back up of emails which ultimately don't get sent for some reason or another.

If you're host offers SMTP (almost all will if you have email access), try utilizing this and see if it makes a difference. If not, you may wish to consider using a third party service. You can even configure phpBB to use Gmail to send email if you wish. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

jsoni

Post by jsoni » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks for your reply.. :)

I have tried to set SMTP but that also sending some emails not to all :( and even I was getting some error in error log.

I am using hostgator service for hosting.I had some issue to understand SMTP setting in phpbb ACP ( I am using for outlook and configure perfectly) I do not understand some fields like server user name and password. I believe that is for my controlpanel ID password but hostgator technical persona say that is your email ID and password. I tried even both but getting error I checked in log error report. In fact it is sending email to few members not to all.

I have set packet to 0. Now I set everything back to mail and removed all cach. Now working like no issue.. But to prevent future issue with the same problem I want to setup SMTP and want to know setup Please.

Also I want to confirm that is it not possible that once any member subscribe to the topic so he/she will keep getting notification even if he is not active afterward. I want like that is there any settings to do this?

Now is like some one reply to the topic and if he/she will not click to the post link or they are not making any new post reply nto the topic he/she will not get ay notification email.

Isn't it possible to make once subscribe will getting email every time doesn't matter either they are active or idle.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 am

jsoni wrote:Now is like some one reply to the topic and if he/she will not click to the post link or they are not making any new post reply nto the topic he/she will not get ay notification email.

Isn't it possible to make once subscribe will getting email every time doesn't matter either they are active or idle.
By default, phpBB will only send one notification email to each user subscribed to the topic when someone replies. Additional replies will not send more notifications UNTIL the user visits the topic again.

1) User subscribes to a topic
2) Someone replies to the topic and a notification email is sent out
4) Someone else replies to the topic, no notification email is sent
5) User visits the topic again
6) Someone replies to the topic, so another single email is sent out.
Repeat.

The reasoning for this is simple: Say you subscribe to a topic. Then say 100 people reply to the topic before you've had a chance to read it again. Every single user subscribed to the topic would receive 100 emails, which puts quite a strain on both the server as well as spamming your email inbox.

The SMTP settings in the ACP should be the same settings you use inside of Outlook. The server is typically your domain name. This isn't always the case, but it will be the same as the "Outgoing" mail settings in Outlook. The username and password is the same that you use in Outlook.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

jsoni

Post by jsoni » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:07 am

Admin,

Thanks for your clarification and support. I got your point and will try to SMTP settings and get back to you here. :)

Thank you so much. :)

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:43 am

There is a MOD that allows members the option of being informed of every post, Board watch, but as AdamR says, you need to consider carefully using it, because it can substantially increase the amount of email going out, which could lead to your site being considered as a spammer.

See the contrib folder of the MOD for information on changing the default settings, I would suggest setting the default to '1' (NO) for being notified of all posts.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

jsoni

Post by jsoni » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Oyabun1 wrote:There is a MOD that allows members the option of being informed of every post, Board watch, but as AdamR says, you need to consider carefully using it, because it can substantially increase the amount of email going out, which could lead to your site being considered as a spammer.

See the contrib folder of the MOD for information on changing the default settings, I would suggest setting the default to '1' (NO) for being notified of all posts.
Thanks for this MOD information friends and you all ppl are right. I should not do this.. till any major need.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”