Your message contains too few characters

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Danbo342
Name: Dan

Your message contains too few characters

Post by Danbo342 »

Hello gents,
I'm sure a lot of you are familliar with the title of this topic. I have been googling for a couple days and not one post I've read has provided an answer to this problem. This happens when I try to paste a tutorial I wrote in my new forum. I have the latest build and my server (Hostdepartment) allows for PHPBB3.

I am not a forum expert at all, although I am familliar with web deisign I normally mainly do flash and am just now getting use to CSS. So please be as specific (or hand holding) in your responce as time will allow.
I really appreciate the help and hope I can find resolution to this soon.

I'm not sure what other information to provide since I'm unfamilliar with all this so please let me know what that may be.

Thanks,
~Dan
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Your message contains too few characters

Post by tbackoff »

On the "Post settings" page under the GENERAL tab in the ACP, what is "Minimum characters per post/message" set to?
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

Minimum is set to 10 and maximum is set to unlimited (0 entered for unlimited).

I have set it also manually to something huge like 220000 and problem message still remains.
Thanks for you fast reply.
~Dan
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Danbo342 wrote:paste a tutorial I wrote in my new forum
Have you read this? Are you using a WYSIWYG / richtext editor in your new forum? Copying not-plain text and pasting it into a plain text box mostly raises this issue due to technical violations. Try to first paste it into Notepad (not: Wordpad), then copy it from there and finally paste it into phpBB.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

I have no idea what a WYSIWYG is. I had the post saved in word document. I had to update my original post several times in the past on the website I had it and it always worked fine coming from this same word doc. I read the post you linked and did just now try to first copy it to notepad and then to the post but the same error occures.
There is nothing special about the bbcode, just resizing, colors, images etc... It was a Tutorial I created that took a couple months to complete so is pretty huge. It was part of the reason I did it as a forum post to begin with, to show others just how easy and neat bbc could be if used right.

Anyway, still open for suggestions since the notepad thing failed.
*Also for the record, I saved it in word to begin with for the reason that notepad adds line breaks all over the place. However, at this point I rather see it work and worry about fixing that but again, it didn't.
Thanks for the help though.
~Dan
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Danbo342 wrote:I have no idea what a WYSIWYG is
WYSIWYG, which also includes Microsoft Word.
Danbo342 wrote:I had to update my original post several times in the past on the website I had it and it always worked fine coming from this same word doc
Try to remember what might have changed in your document since the first time it didn't work anymore.
Danbo342 wrote:I read the post you linked and did just now try to first copy it to notepad and then to the post but the same error occures.
And you really copied it from Notepad? Because only pasting it there helps nothing.
Danbo342 wrote:notepad adds line breaks all over the place
I don't understand this - can you describe it with more details?

Also - if you don't mind - could you attach exactly the Microsoft Word file (.doc I hope) so I can try to reproduce the error myself?
Affin wrote:
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

Line breaks are spaces, as if you hit enter. There will be a space between every line in what is pasted in notepad, which is why it went to word in the first place. Early on (my third week of creating the tutorial) I ran into a major snag and had to revert back to my latest backup. It was on notepad at the time and after my jaw dropped after posting my backup. I soon found out (was told) about notepads line break issue.

Anywho, to answer your other question, I just posted the same in a different forum and it worked fine so the problem isn't with the code since the other forum is phpbb2 and my forum is bb3.

One thing I did a couple minutes ago was made a few changes that didn't seem to take effect so after reading, found that I had to clear my cache. After I read that I tried again as in the link you posted and found something strange.

If I do as mentioned and set my maximum character count to 60,000 I will get an error saying my post is 198,450 charcters (I told you it was huge ;). So I decided to copy 50,000 characters worth and it worked. Having seen that I went back to the control panel and raised my max count to 200,000 and once I again I seen the same error above "Your message contains too few characters".

I could go through the process of making this a 4 post, topic but kind of defeats the whole purpose. This post was legendary haha. But seriously, something is wrong with bb3 if I can post it just fine in other forums. Why the 60,000 limit on bb3? There must be something else that is capping it, but I don't see any reason why I can't raise it to 200k.

Atleast I got somewhere tonight, tomorrow (your today) is another day and look forward to hopefully finding a fix, rather than just a work-around.

Thanks again,
~Dan
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

AmigoJack wrote:And you really copied it from Notepad? Because only pasting it there helps nothing.

Whoops, missed this.

Yes I know what you meant and guess I need to better explain.
  • I opened up my backup in word
  • I pressed CTRL+A to select all
  • I pressed CTRL+C to copy
  • I created a new notepad.txt
  • I pressed CTRL+V to paste
  • I pressed CTRL+S to save (Just in case)
  • I closed it down, reopened it, copied it and pasted in my post, no difference, thanks.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

AmigoJack wrote:Also - if you don't mind - could you attach exactly the Microsoft Word file (.doc I hope) so I can try to reproduce the error myself?
This would help to trace where the error occurs, since I'm also interested in at least ignoring invalid data and process the rest anyway. Somewhere phpBB3 will recognize some code sequences (which may appear as characters to you) as invalid and thus eliminates too much.

On top, most PHP (not phpBB) installations have a preg backtrace limit of 100'000 bytes - I already opened a bug report on that. A possible workaround (which does not involve editing php.ini directly) has high requirements.
Affin wrote:
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

Sorry for the late reply, I actually thought I posted this on a different board and have been looking around for it (I believe it was my first post here and thought the title was very different).

Anywho, The tutorial as I mentioned is insanely hugs and probably goes into the forum post hall of fame. It would have taken less time to create it as a web page/site than it was as a post, but had my crazy reasons to make it so.

I'd like to here the php.ini work around. I didn't know there was a 100,000 byte limit, but I use PhpBB3 so guess that doesn't count in this case. It would make sense though because I've spent a few hours and copied and pasted small sections at a time in a comment block and tested slowly. I get to about middle and all is fine, then cross what may be a 100,000 byte limit and then get the error.

I could post it as two posts and that would work, but it won't satisify me since that would defeat the perpose of why I created it as well as not explain where the bug lies.

The problem with my code was a few things:
  • I had a font tag that I had not yet installed in my bbc
  • I had quotes around both my url's and my choice of colors throughout the tut
  • Had Center and Left align tags that I also had not created yet.
  • My sizes were based off a different style where I used size=1 - 7, my new style is 85-200 and had to edit them all
I have read over the entire code and it's 100% now. As I mentioned I cannot get passed the middle mark.

To give you an idea of my tutorial I am talking about.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Listen: you understood the basic fact, that there is a limit of 100'000 characters. However, this is not what you type into the editor - internally phpBB augments the text, thus the character count rises. To fully be sure Microsoft Word is not the problem at all and you might be able to post such a huge text anyway, I have to have your .doc file to locally make sure a code modification of your phpBB installation would help. So I remind you the last time to it, otherwise ignore it again:
AmigoJack wrote:Also - if you don't mind - could you attach exactly the Microsoft Word file (.doc I hope) so I can try to reproduce the error myself?
Also I need to know which PHP version your server is using - you can find out by going ACP > System > General tasks > PHP information.
Affin wrote:
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

AmigoJack wrote:Listen: you understood the basic fact, that there is a limit of 100'000 characters. However, this is not what you type into the editor - internally phpBB augments the text, thus the character count rises. To fully be sure Microsoft Word is not the problem at all and you might be able to post such a huge text anyway, I have to have your .doc file to locally make sure a code modification of your phpBB installation would help. So I remind you the last time to it, otherwise ignore it again:
Also I need to know which PHP version your server is using - you can find out by going ACP > System > General tasks > PHP information.

Really? "Listen"? Bud, enough from you, seriously. I am sick of your last two posts to me, here and the other one you tore apart my thanks to someone else. Theres a forum right up your alley for people with your attitude, it's called youtube.

If you can't help people without the power tripping idiocy, then unplug yourself. Either way, you need to pull out of me, I'm done with your posts and rather have no help than yours with your craptastic attitude.

As for you nonsense rant "you understood the basic fact, that there is a limit of 100'000 characters" Did I? NO I did not, thus the reason I commented on it,,,, wow can you not read and you attack me? Go have a coffee your brain isn't pumping watt one.

As for the linking or sending you my post (tutorial), no. Did I send it your way yet? No. Do you think I'm going to hand over 3 months of 15hr days since you ask me to? NO. I appreciate help but look at your own responce! You do NOT need it, try reading, like you told me in that other topic.
Sierron
Name: Artur

Post by Sierron »

Ehm, could you stop insult other members? :|

Besides that: SQL has a limit on characters you can insert in one Transaction. So if you set it up to 200000 it wouldn't work, because it's simply to long. Split it in multiple post.
Multilanguage TimeSplitters Site

If you need support, I suggest you to use the Support Request Template for your questions on this board. If you have some serious problems, the Support Toolkit can fix it (depends on the problem).
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

Thanks for the clarification. It's odd that my post is 100% intact on the original forum I posted it on though. I think they're an older version of php actually, I'll have to ask their admin but chances are he doesn't know haha. He has people to run it for him ;)

Anywho, the above poster said:
AmigoJack wrote:
AmigoJack wrote: On top, most PHP (not phpBB) installations have a preg backtrace limit of 100'000 bytes - I already opened a bug report on that. A possible workaround (which does not involve editing php.ini directly) has high requirements.
Which I replied:
Danbo342 wrote: I'd like to here the php.ini work around. I didn't know there was a 100,000 byte limit, but I use PhpBB3 so guess that doesn't count in this case.
I then was answered with:
AmigoJack wrote:Listen: you understood the basic fact, that there is a limit of 100'000 characters.
So I have no idea what I did wrong. He said it was not a phpbb thing, and then I ask for the work around stating "I didn't know there was a 100k limit" then get "Listen, you understood there was"? Sorry but I'm not the one attacking anyone, merely defending.

As for above, I am not going out of my way to insult anyone. He seems to have something against me and you can see it in his other posts to me this morning. As for myself, other than the two replies to him you can check my track record and I am 100% respectful to every member of this forum as well as any other.

Thanks again for the information. I will report back if I ever get a reply from the other forum admin.
Last edited by Danbo342 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Danbo342

Post by Danbo342 »

. Sorry double posted accidentally.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”