Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" does

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
915855
Registered User
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" does

Post by 915855 »

Hi, I have some users that have registered but they never activated their account. I wanted to resend them an activation link and I found Force Reactivation in the control panel. Can someone please tell what force reactivation does. Also, does anyone know if there is another way to email inactive accounts to make them activate their accounts. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Noxwizard on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic icon

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29253
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by Marshalrusty »

915855 wrote:Hi, I have some users that have registered but they never activated their account. I wanted to resend them an activation link and I found Force Reactivation in the control panel. Can someone please tell what force reactivation does. Also, does anyone know if there is another way to email inactive accounts to make them activate their accounts. Thank you in advance.
Force reactivation disables the account and sends the user an activation email that they have to click to re-activate the account. Sounds like exactly what you want.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

915855
Registered User
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by 915855 »

Thank you very much for your help.

PerryNZ
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by PerryNZ »

What does the force reactivation do
to the users password, if anything?
I ask because the same screen offers
the chance to create a new user
password. If a user says: I've forgot-
ten my password
and I create a new
one, would using 'force reactivation'
mess with that? Or abet it?

User avatar
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Posts: 23162
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Australia
Name: Bill

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by Oyabun1 »

The two things are separate and won't interact.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

PerryNZ
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by PerryNZ »

Hhmmmm.... Not sure I quite grasp the nuances. (In trying
to idiot-proof things. ;) )

Most likely scenario: user says "forgotten password."

I enter a new password and press [Submit]

That does not seem to send an e-mail to the user - right?
I.e. I have to e-mail the user with the replacement password,
requesting that the user change it via their UCP. Right?

Next most likely scenario: user says "forgotten username."
(And maybe password, as well!)

What's the best thing to do, in that case? (Don't tempt me!)

User avatar
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Posts: 23162
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Australia
Name: Bill

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by Oyabun1 »

For the first, you don't have to do anything, they should use the "I forgot my password" link on the login page. If you want to change the password, then yes, you need to email that to them.

For the second, I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking how you find the member then because they have sent you an email you can use the find a member search function to search by that email address. If this is likely to happen often then there is a MOD, I forgot - Send Username and Password so that members can have both username and password sent to them.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

PerryNZ
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by PerryNZ »

Oyabun1 wrote:For the first, you don't have to do anything, they should use the "I forgot my password" link on the login page. If you want to change the password, then yes, you need to email that to them.
Right. And the [Login] option needs to be clicked (from the index
page) before the option displays.

Oyabun1 wrote:For the second, I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking how you find the member then because they have sent you an email you can use the find a member search function to search by that email address. If this is likely to happen often then there is a MOD, I forgot - Send Username and Password so that members can have both username and password sent to them.

It would've helped if the e-mail to me had included the username.
Their e-mail address returned a blank. I suspect that the user
believes he has registered, but actually hasn't. Or has and it
got lost in the spambot registration attempts which I deleted .

User avatar
HGN
Former Team Member
Posts: 4706
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Name: Alfred
Contact:

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by HGN »

PerryNZ wrote:It would've helped if the e-mail to me had included the username.
Their e-mail address returned a blank. I suspect that the user
believes he has registered, but actually hasn't. Or has and it
got lost in the spambot registration attempts which I deleted .
Or the user used a different e-mail address when registering to your board. ;)
The only options you have is to ask the user if he/she may have used another e-mail address or tell him/her to register again.

User avatar
novanilla
Registered User
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:08 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Can someone please tell me what "Force Reactivation" doe

Post by novanilla »

Marshalrusty wrote:
915855 wrote:Hi, I have some users that have registered but they never activated their account. I wanted to resend them an activation link and I found Force Reactivation in the control panel. Can someone please tell what force reactivation does. Also, does anyone know if there is another way to email inactive accounts to make them activate their accounts. Thank you in advance.
Force reactivation disables the account and sends the user an activation email that they have to click to re-activate the account. Sounds like exactly what you want.
There's a more appropriate option for this. When you go to the inactive users list in the Users tab of the ACP, you can select a user and "send reminder", rather than forcing reactivation. Then you get a count next to that user's name of how many reminders have been sent, over time, and after a while you can give up.

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”