500 'SITE CHMOD 777 files': command not understood

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts

500 'SITE CHMOD 777 files': command not understood

Postby cricketrevolt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:47 pm

My host is godaddy ..hosts on Windows server

Prob is every thing is alright till STEP 1 where I need to change file permissions to files - cache - store to 777

Thats When It says >> 500 'SITE CHMOD 777 files': command not understood >> in my Filezilla !!

Please help...isnt there a way to download phpBB3 on Windows server? :cry:
cricketrevolt

Re: 500 'SITE CHMOD 777 files': command not understood

Postby Brf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:16 pm

"CHMOD" is a Linux command. It is not understood by Windows.
You will have problems running phpBB on GoDaddy's Windows server. You are better-off using Linux.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby cricketrevolt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:37 pm

OOOOOPS !! Thats heart breaking....any positive solution please...heard the hosting admin can make adjustments etc :cry:
cricketrevolt

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:24 pm

yep, you can get a refund if possible and find a new host. godaddy is a terrible host but a good domain registrar.

alternatively, you can go to your godaddy control panel and switch from windows to linux/unix.

If you don't know how to do that, you need to contact godaddy about it as we can't help you with that.

once you have a linux server you can install and run phpbb without any problems.

roberrt
Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby larryhyman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:18 am

For a windows server that you do not host yourself, this is what you do:

Contact you Web Provider and get them to turn on write permission for the INTERNET GUEST ACCOUNT for your site. If they are not able or willing, try to get switched to a LINUX, APACHE, MYSQL, PHP, SERVER, (LAMP SERVER)

This will always work with PHPBB

Don't get me wrong, I am running it on a Windows IIS6 Server (Windows 2003 Server), but it's my own machine and I have full access to everything !

Thanks
larryhyman

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum