I always hit the edit button when wanting to quote

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
azzurri

I always hit the edit button when wanting to quote

Post by azzurri »

This is a big problem for me and both I and my moderators have managed to mess up plenty of posts like this. When wanting to participate in a debate, we hit edit button when wanting to quote a user instead of hitting quote because we forget we are logged in as moderators.

Is it possible to do something about this? It's very annoying and embarassing to delete someones post. Maybe a warning or something like

YOU ARE ABOUT TO EDIT A USERS POST.
azzurri

Re: I always hit the edit button when wanting to quote

Post by azzurri »

Bump.
Sierron
Name: Artur

Post by Sierron »

This board has a bump limit of 6 hours between a bump. :|

And for your problem: How your moderators and you manage to hit the wrong button every time without noticing you are edit a users post. But if that is really a problem, how about change your settings, that moderators cannot edit posts.

(Kinda strange through: Being able to edit posts as an moderator or administrator is a normal access right. Why would you need a notice that you edit a post of a user...)
Multilanguage TimeSplitters Site

If you need support, I suggest you to use the Support Request Template for your questions on this board. If you have some serious problems, the Support Toolkit can fix it (depends on the problem).
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There are about 14 hours between the op's topic and the bump. Next, the ability to edit posts is not only NOT "a normal access right" for administrators - it is not an administrative permission at all.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Sierron, like Steve already said this topic was bumped legitimately. In the future, if you think some post does not follow the rules, please use the report button and we will take a look at it. Thank you. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

stevemaury wrote:There are about 14 hours between the op's topic and the bump. Next, the ability to edit posts is not only NOT "a normal access right" for administrators - it is not an administrative permission at all.
How do you mean? As Admin I can see in all posts the "edit" button and has always been able to with all my forums. You mean one is not supposed to be able to edit users posts as moderator or admin?
Sierron
Name: Artur

Post by Sierron »

@JimA and stevemaury: sorry, I didn't saw that the am and pm thing was different (in germany we don't have that). I'll do that the next time. :)
stevemaury wrote:NOT "a normal access right" for administrators - it is not an administrative permission at all.
Right, it is a moderator access right. :?
azzurri wrote:How do you mean? As Admin I can see in all posts the "edit" button and has always been able to with all my forums. You mean one is not supposed to be able to edit users posts as moderator or admin?
You are in more than one group. You are also an global moderator. That's why you can edit posts.
Multilanguage TimeSplitters Site

If you need support, I suggest you to use the Support Request Template for your questions on this board. If you have some serious problems, the Support Toolkit can fix it (depends on the problem).
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

azzurri wrote:
stevemaury wrote:There are about 14 hours between the op's topic and the bump. Next, the ability to edit posts is not only NOT "a normal access right" for administrators - it is not an administrative permission at all.
How do you mean? As Admin I can see in all posts the "edit" button and has always been able to with all my forums. You mean one is not supposed to be able to edit users posts as moderator or admin?
If you are the Original Board Founder by default you are given all permissions, thus you can edit and delete posts. Different styles often have different buttons, if you like your style perhaps ask in the style section how to rearrange them as you want.
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

I am the founder yes. I cannot remove the edit button through the permission system. I tried. Both for user and my group. I still see it.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Don't remove it, ask in the styles Forum how to Move it to a new spot
DocSommer

Post by DocSommer »

Funny - hitting edit instead of quote is a familiar story to me :lol: :lol:

Since I'm more the administrator than moderator guy in our forum I decided to customize the mod permissions for my usual account. If neeed I can still log in as administrator.

But I agree that a safety prompt would be helpful to avoid unwanted edits.

Finally a +1 to this request from my side^^
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

one would think that after a few times one would get in the habit of doing it correctly.

;)

I am not sure how you get in the habit of doing it incorrectly in the first place.
it is all the way on the left side and the quote button is all the way on the right side.
just click the correct button?

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
vrjourney

Post by vrjourney »

Quick-and-dirty fix for prosilver, works for me here; shows a confirmation box on clicking Edit:

Open viewtopic_body.html

Find (around line 128 for me):

Code: Select all

<!-- IF postrow.U_EDIT --><li class="edit-icon"><a href="{postrow.U_EDIT}" title="{L_EDIT_POST}"><span>{L_EDIT_POST}</span></a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
Replace with:

<!-- IF postrow.U_EDIT --><li class="edit-icon"><a href="{postrow.U_EDIT}" onclick="return confirm('Really edit this post?')" title="{L_EDIT_POST}"><span>{L_EDIT_POST}</span></a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
Quick-and-dirty because (i) it requires Javascript, and (ii) there's no integration with the language files, the English is hard-coded in. That might be good enough for you.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

..and without using javascript

OPEN

posting.php

FIND

// Build Navigation Links
generate_forum_nav($post_data);
BEFORE ADD

$is_editing = '';
if ($mode == 'edit')
{
	$is_editing = 'You are editing a post!!';
}
FIND

'FORUM_NAME'			=> $post_data['forum_name'],
BEFORE ADD

'IS_EDITING'			=> $is_editing,
OPEN

styles/prosilver/template/posting_editor.html

FIND

<!-- IF ERROR --><p class="error">{ERROR}</p><!-- ENDIF -->

BEFORE, ADD

<!-- IF IS_EDITING --><p class="error" style="font-size:1.3em;text-align:center;">{IS_EDITING}</p><!-- ENDIF -->
then you will get a notice within the posting box that will look like this
edit_message.jpg
edit_message.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

Awesome. Thank you for the code. It will be very helpful to me :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”