Spam Bots Attacking! Please Help!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
haggisv

Re: Spam Bots Attacking! Please Help!

Post by haggisv »

Callum95 wrote:If you use the Q&A captcha correctly you shouldn't need a modification. Use some unique, challenging (although not overly so) questions and you will be fine.~Callum
I agree completely. Why modify your forum, when an inbuilt module will do the job?
nuworld

Post by nuworld »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
I used to use a Mod under 2.x that asked people to justify them having the privilege of posting to the forum but that was blown away when I moved to 3.x and I switched to the Q&A.
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... ification/
I too like others have been having this problems with spammers.

This is the mod i use.
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... tion_pack/
Plus a few custom profile fields added and of course the Q&A
This mod works great and has many option you can set in the ACP.

Though i still get a few spammers a day but it went from a few 1000 a day to only 5-10 a day.
akymo

Post by akymo »

Hi , I am using the latest phpBB forum software , and I only have 2 enable options in my ACP.

Here is a screenshot:
https://camo.phpbb.com/51d228c9315fafb782ca1fa2764e4f0ff923e844/687474703a2f2f646174612e6675736b627567672e73652f736b616c6d616e30322f7370616d626f742e6a7067

Where can I set the Q&A code? "Are you a human?" Yes/no and why doesn't my Preview show any image?
dgswilson
Name: Doug Wilson

Post by dgswilson »

I got the botscout.php and api for my forum and no bad ones have got on since.

I'm also on my third day of trying out Incapsula. I would say, from what I've seen so far, it's kind of a no brainer. There's a video about them from rackspace on youtube and if you're below 20gb's a month for bandwidth use - it's free. Last I checked my dashboard there they'd blocked over 140 bad bots and one cross script attempt in 3 days.

The CEO is a former VP of products at Imperva (enterprise security systems). It's really enterprise for personal sites. Like I say, as of today I can recommend at least the free trial. (no credit card or any of that BS)
DgsWilson.com - Facts Make Life Easier
lemmingtopias

Post by lemmingtopias »

The best mod I have found to stop spam is 'Anti Bot Question'

Since installing it there was not a single spam incident on my forum. Before this I was getting 20 - 30 spambot registrations a day.

I know a lot of people will say there is no need for a mod when there are in-built anti-spam provisions on phpBB3, but they simply do not do the job for everyone.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

lemmingtopias wrote: I know a lot of people will say there is no need for a mod when there are in-built anti-spam provisions on phpBB3, but they simply do not do the job for everyone.
Not correct.
The Q&A CAPTCHA is quite effective.
Why use a MOD that does the same thing as the 'built in' protection.
dgswilson

Post by dgswilson »

Botscout working great, not one critter has gotten through since install. Had to stop Incapsula - to many problems affecting my site - can't recommend it.
lemmingtopias

Post by lemmingtopias »

Not correct.
Well...they don't work for everyone. I got spammed with the Q&A CAPTCHA daily and as soon as I switched to the anti-bot question mod it stopped - never a bit of spam since ;)
dgswilson

Post by dgswilson »

The good thing about botscout is they have a free api and once installed it uses the updated api. So even if a human spammer wants to register they'll get picked off.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

lemmingtopias wrote:
Not correct.
Well...they don't work for everyone. I got spammed with the Q&A CAPTCHA daily and as soon as I switched to the anti-bot question mod it stopped - never a bit of spam since ;)
You have to choose good questions.
Q&A is ineffective if you ask what colour is the sky or what is 2+2. Things that can be searched for don't work very well. But if you ask people to enter the first 4 letters of the word RABBIT or something like that, you cannot search for the answer to that and it's highly effective.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
noth

Post by noth »

The Q&A CAPTCHA is the best thing ever dreamed up for phpBB3
enter the first 4 letters of the word RABBIT
great example

if you can hone it to a subject dear to the heart of your site, then even better!!

think of what people joining YOUR SITE would definitely know then, using the RABBIT example your Q&A CAPTCHA will soon be set up and you can literally say GOODBYE to spambots

I have been using Q&A CAPTCHA the last 2 months, tailored to my site theme and it is absolutely proven, WELL DONE 3.0.8 designers!! :D
Vortex_NTX

Post by Vortex_NTX »

What spambots like to do is register using a human (usually from india) and then use an automated script to activate and enter profile information. What I did

[ removed ]

but I'm just giving you guys some ideas on how it's possible to foil their plans ;)

Lastly, disable linking and/or suspending a user from posting if they post a link as their first post for a given amount of time like say, 10 minutes. None of these suggestions are terribly difficult to implement, just very time consuming and some of it will have a negative effect for your user base.
Last edited by marian0810 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed bad and possibly dangerous advice
When I feel the need to screen at the top of my lungs, I realize that the problem was a typo.
phpBB Social Network MOD (QA)
Global Avatar Mod
noth

Post by noth »

you don't need to do any of that

deleting the UCP is just ridiculous :x

simply have 10 to 20 Q + As set up so that even if human operators come along they don't get the same question twice

20 questions is optimum and deleting the UCP is just plain nonsense, delete the ACP too while you're at it :lol:
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Vortex_NTX wrote:What spambots like to do is register using a human (usually from india) and then use an automated script to activate and enter profile information. What spambots like to do is register using a human (usually from india) and then use an automated script to activate and enter profile information. What I did

[ removed ]

but I'm just giving you guys some ideas on how it's possible to foil their plans ;)

Lastly, disable linking and/or suspending a user from posting if they post a link as their first post for a given amount of time like say, 10 minutes. None of these suggestions are terribly difficult to implement, just very time consuming and some of it will have a negative effect for your user base.
Incorrect for the majority of cases - most of them are completely automated. Check your logs - not hits on stuff like the CSS and JS. The bots are pretty clever, though.

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
d4rkskies

Post by d4rkskies »

Callum,

Working in IT Security, I can tell you that this is not entirely correct. The actual sign-up and posting is mostly via automated spambots, however the spammers have become much more advanced in defeating Anti-Spam measures, especially Capcha and reCapcha.

Numerous methods are used including inserting the capcha image into seemingly valid sites (some fake download sites are a favourite) and getting humans to decipher them. This is well documented.

The best advice I can give is to use multiple layers of anti-spam measures. One of the best performing of these are Anti-Spam Q&A's which can be enabled from the Admin panel under General > Spambot Countermeasures.

The best tips are to try and avoid easy, obvious questions such as "1+1" or "What is the capital of France?"

Having come under sustained spam attack, I have found the most effective Q&A defences are to use specific questions relevant to your forum subject matter which are not obvious to people not interested in it or non-native language speakers.

Blocking IP's also has a limited effect as the botnets span nearly every country on the planet, so although they may give a day's relief after blocking China's IP allocation, the spammers find that zombie machines in europe still work.

I hope this helps

Rob

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”