Group Titles

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sleevedbiker

Group Titles

Post by sleevedbiker »

What do i edit in the ACP in order to get the group names GLobal Moderators, etc. to show under each forums description on the main forum? thanks
You ride with an outlaw, You die with an outlaw
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Group Titles

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Moving to the support forum, per the forum description
Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

I'm surprised that nobody has answered this. It's controlled by the Enable display of moderators in the Load settings/Board features.

However, based on my testing, there is a caveat -- the only moderators that seem to show up are those who are specifically granted Moderator permissions for that forum (including groups). In other words, it does not appear that people only in the Global moderators group are shown.

I'm not sure why it was done this way, but that's how it appears to work.

You can see this in my phpBB test board. Note how Test Forum shows the Test Forum Moderators group but BBCode Examples does not list the Global Moderator on the board.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Showing Global Moderators would be redundant, since they can moderate every single forum. You can see those on The Team page.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Brf wrote:Showing Global Moderators would be redundant, since they can moderate every single forum. You can see those on The Team page.
I kind of figured that would be the answer. However, you can also see forum-specific moderators on The Team page (along with the forums they can moderate), so I'm not sure there's much of a difference.

Also, theoretically, couldn't I make somebody a Global Moderator and then remove moderation permissions from him for some forums? If so, it wouldn't be completely redundant. ;)

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

How do you remove Global permissions from a single user of the Group without changing the Global permissions of the Group, and why would you want to?
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:How do you remove Global permissions from a single user of the Group without changing the Global permissions of the Group, and why would you want to?
Let's answer the second question first. You might want to because you might want somebody to be a moderator in all of your 100 forums but one. It would be far easier to make them a Global Moderator and drop their permissions on that one forum than to give them moderator permissions for 99 forums.

As for the first question, I thought that I'd be able to assign somebody to the Global Moderator group, then edit that user's Moderator permissions for the forum that I didn't want them in and set them to Never. However, when I tried that, an interesting thing happened -- that person was now listed in the forum as a Moderator and in fact still had moderating powers. So the Never permissions didn't take effect. That seems like a bug to me (I should at least get an error message saying that I can't change Moderator permissions on a Global Moderator, I'd think).

However, that may give a workaround if you want Global Moderators to show up as moderators for a forum -- change one of their user moderator permissions. That doesn't appear to work if you try it on the Global Moderators group itself, though.

Ah, the wonders of phpBB permissions. :D

Steve
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

I've tried it before without success, wondered if you had a way that worked. As to your first part answer, just create a new Moderator Group and assign it to the 99 Forums, I dislike altering the permissions of the default groups.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:As to your first part answer, just create a new Moderator Group and assign it to the 99 Forums, I dislike altering the permissions of the default groups.
Yes, I know how to do it the "normal" (or "hard") way. The point was trying to find an easier way.

By the way, note that I said that I changed the user's Moderator permissions, not the group's. So I wasn't messing the with default group at all, just one user who was in the Global Moderators group.

Regardless, it apparently doesn't work. Oh well.

Steve
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

No. You cannot use Forum Moderator "Never" permissions to remove Global Moderator permissions for one forum. It is one of the exceptions to the rule that Never permissions override Yes ones.
sleevedbiker

Post by sleevedbiker »

it being redundant would be your opinion. when you have hundreds of emails in regards to it, it kind of gets old.
this seems to be the only way people find it.
sleevedbiker

Post by sleevedbiker »

Pony99CA wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has answered this. It's controlled by the Enable display of moderators in the Load settings/Board features.

However, based on my testing, there is a caveat -- the only moderators that seem to show up are those who are specifically granted Moderator permissions for that forum (including groups). In other words, it does not appear that people only in the Global moderators group are shown.

I'm not sure why it was done this way, but that's how it appears to work.

You can see this in my phpBB test board. Note how Test Forum shows the Test Forum Moderators group but BBCode Examples does not list the Global Moderator on the board.

Steve
those setting are enabled. only the custom group shows up under the forums descriptions, still cant get the global moderator group name to show.
King Rhyono

Post by King Rhyono »

Brf wrote:No. You cannot use Forum Moderator "Never" permissions to remove Global Moderator permissions for one forum. It is one of the exceptions to the rule that Never permissions override Yes ones.
Isn't that supposed to be the function of never? :P
PM me if you want me to do some work for hire (can do: support, maintenance, and mod requests).
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

No.
Forum Moderator and Global Moderator are actually treated like two different permissions types. There is some sort of logic behind it somewhere.
sleevedbiker

Post by sleevedbiker »

that was in regards to someone elses question not my original quiestion. And having global moderator title show up ther eis possible because it was showing up on my forum in 3.0.7 pl1. not working in 3.0.8 for some reason, and cant remember how i did it.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”