Crazy database question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Angry_Sun

Crazy database question

Post by Angry_Sun »

Hey everyone. This other forum is considering joining our forum, which would be great. I'm wondering though, since they are on phpBB 3.0.8, if it would be possible to merge their database with ours. Now, I'm not sure if this would work, I really don't think it would. But what about user accounts and such? I'm trying to think of a way to move over posts and topics if I somehow assigned them a board id=x.

I don't know guys, maybe give me some ideas? Feel free to ask me more questions.

blakebowling

Re: Crazy database question

Post by blakebowling »

In theory, it could work. Having said this, it is very complicated. I personally have never seen it done successfully, and have even tried it a few times. I'd advise against it, however if you insist on digging further, there are some tools that may be able to help your painstaking struggle.

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

blakebowling wrote:In theory, it could work. Having said this, it is very complicated. I personally have never seen it done successfully, and have even tried it a few times. I'd advise against it, however if you insist on digging further, there are some tools that may be able to help your painstaking struggle.
Yeah, this forum is merging with us because their admin can't keep up with it. They have a few hundred thousand posts, and a few thousand members. I would like to try to keep their accounts at least, because then that will offer more incentive to join. "You get to keep your account! (And posts?)" You know?

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

Going to bump this before I go to work. Thanks for any help guys, this is pretty complicated. Also, if the guy sends me his sql file with his database, I'm pretty sure it's going to be more than 100MB in size...

Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

I have looking at options too. Best option I have found (with my limited searching) is converting both forums to vbulletin. Merging the 2 vbulletin forums, and then converting that back to phpBB.

Edit:
Actually there is a semi working phpBB merging script.
Try reading this topic and see how that works out for you.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=710815

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

Mess wrote:I have looking at options too. Best option I have found (with my limited searching) is converting both forums to vbulletin. Merging the 2 vbulletin forums, and then converting that back to phpBB.

Edit:
Actually there is a semi working phpBB merging script.
Try reading this topic and see how that works out for you.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=710815
I would never switch to vBulletin, then back. That's just asking for trouble. I'll take a look at the other thing though.

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

Bump?

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

You need to figure out how you want to handle duplicate usernames. The rest is just work.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

Some duplicate usernames can be merged using the criteria if registration IP address or email address are the same, or you could get more strict with registration IP address and email address are the same. Any duplicate usernames with no other matching information, can be handled by adding a suffix to one of the usernames. You could then go through these duplicates and decide if you want to merge them or give them a different username.
Have you hugged someone today?

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

D¡cky wrote:Some duplicate usernames can be merged using the criteria if registration IP address or email address are the same, or you could get more strict with registration IP address and email address are the same. Any duplicate usernames with no other matching information, can be handled by adding a suffix to one of the usernames. You could then go through these duplicates and decide if you want to merge them or give them a different username.
Er,I guess merging is the wrong word here. More like adding their posts and users to our board.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

Angry_Sun wrote:Er,I guess merging is the wrong word here. More like adding their posts and users to our board.
A merge does exactly that. It copies the forums, topics, posts and users from one board to another.

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

D¡cky wrote:
Angry_Sun wrote:Er,I guess merging is the wrong word here. More like adding their posts and users to our board.
A merge does exactly that. It copies the forums, topics, posts and users from one board to another.
Some duplicate usernames can be merged using the criteria if registration IP address or email address are the same
But there aren't any duplicate users. I guess I'm still confused. I want to take all their members, and move them to our database, while keeping ours. Along with their posts.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

If there are no duplicate users, there is no problem. All the users will be moved over.

phpBB3 does not allow two or more members to have the same username. It is possible that there are members on the two boards who have the same username. If they are the same person as determined by the Registration IP address or email address, the two accounts will be merged into one account. If they are different people, one of them has to be renamed, because each username has to be unique.

Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

D¡cky wrote:If there are no duplicate users, there is no problem. All the users will be moved over.

phpBB3 does not allow two or more members to have the same username. It is possible that there are members on the two boards who have the same username. If they are the same person as determined by the Registration IP address or email address, the two accounts will be merged into one account. If they are different people, one of them has to be renamed, because each username has to be unique.
Okay cool! Before merging, we will check this. Thanks.

Now, could you inform me how to go about doing this?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

The first and most important thing is to have a backup of both databases in case something goes wrong and it probably will, you will be able to start again with the original databases.

Use the script in this post. Unfortunately, this script has no way of checking for duplicate usernames. It will just throw an error if it tries to insert a duplicate name. You will need to fix the duplicate username and start the script over. You might want to export the users from both boards and combine them in a spreadsheet first and see if you can spot any duplicate names before starting the merge.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”