Updating to 3.0.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jbsaxman

Updating to 3.0.8

Post by jbsaxman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Another quick question -

My live forum and my test forum both point to the same database. If I update my test forum to 3.0.8, will it break my live installation?

I don't think this is the case, but I don't want to break the live forum.

Thanks again.

Jaymie1989
Name: Jaymie

Re: Updating to 3.0.8

Post by Jaymie1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi,

As they are pointed to the same database, Yes it will have an affect if it is altered on both boards.
Dear creators of Sesame Street,
Kids are still fat. Can I come back now?
Sincerely, Cookie Monster.

View my MODs - Need phpBB help with MODs and Styles? Take a look at my phpBB3 services

jbsaxman

Post by jbsaxman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Jaymie1989 wrote:Hi,

As they are pointed to the same database, Yes it will have an affect if it is altered on both boards.

I understand this.

My question is whether I will receive any errors on the live forum if I try to access it when the DB is on 3.0.8 and the files are still on 3.0.7-PL1

I know that I do not receive any errors (other than a Board not up to do date in the ACP) when my DB is on 3.0.7-PL1 and my files are on 3.0.8. That is how it currently is set up.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:56 pm

I am assuming your two forums are using different table prefixes, otherwise they would be accessing the exact same data. If so, upgrading one will not affect the other.

jbsaxman

Post by jbsaxman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Brf wrote:I am assuming your two forums are using different table prefixes, otherwise they would be accessing the exact same data. If so, upgrading one will not affect the other.

No, they are not using different tables. They are using the exact same database. (Reason for this is that I'm using a heavily modified style and wanted to be able to make sure that the style elements worked exactly the way they would on the live forum.)

I do keep database and file backups, but would rather not have to restore them.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”