How to 'auto notify' users by email for posts made

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
CREL Webmaster

How to 'auto notify' users by email for posts made

Post by CREL Webmaster » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Is there anyway to set up my forum so that all members will get emailed automatically whenever someone replies to a post they've made (or a topic they created)?

I know its an option to check this box when creating a New Topic but can I set it through the ACP so that its automatic for all members? I'm thinking this will help user activity since I'm just starting out.

If needed, the version of phpBB I'm on is 3.0.7-PL1

Thanks for any advice!

Rory

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: How to 'auto notify' users by email for posts made

Post by stevemaury » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:57 pm

That would be spam.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

CREL Webmaster

Post by CREL Webmaster » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm confused by your response? Basically, when posting on other forums such as Vbulletin or others, if you make a new topic/post, you'll be notified by email if someone replies to your question/comment.

I'm just wondering if its possible to set this up that way. As it is right now, I can have a new member make their very first post and not know for days if anyone has responded to it unless they remember to check back to the forum.

Thanks

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:44 pm

CREL Webmaster wrote: but can I set it through the ACP so that its automatic for all members?
Thanks for any advice!

Rory

Forcing email on people who have not requested it is spam. Users who wish email notification of responses or new posts can subscribe to topics or forums. They can also opt to be notified when their posts are replied to by using that option in the UCP.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

CREL Webmaster

Post by CREL Webmaster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:21 am

ok, thanks

Alienizer

Post by Alienizer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 am

This still does not answer the question, Is it possible, yes or no?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:20 am

Not with standard phpBB you would need a MOD, such as, Board watch.

Note that as well as risking losing members by spamming them sending emails for every post can lead to you board exceeding the email limits imposed by a number of hosts.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:34 am

And getting reported for spamming as happened with a board I look after recently.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Alienizer

Post by Alienizer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:56 am

I think the point is to default sending mail to a member, and then they can turn it off if they don't want futher notifications. The way it is now, none of them even know how to subscribe or click on "Notify me" because they don't read! I do it all the time because I simply forget to check the box, which I did for this post here already! The email notification can include a link to turn it off.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:09 am

the point is that the creators of phpbb did not want to create something that would default to spamming the users. if someone wants to get an email then can check the box to get it.

web based bulletin boards were invented to replace the old email style mailing list type of discussions.

it is web based which means that if you want to participate then you have to go to the website to do so.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Alienizer

Post by Alienizer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Really strange view! The way I see it, if you login and post something, it is not spam if a notification is sent to you upon replies to your post! How can you see this as spam???

Even on my own board I always forget to check the "notify me" box, and I don't always get notified when a user post a message or a reply. Seems I have to subscribe to each forum and each topics, and check "notify me" on every replies I post, and for me, it's a pain in the you know what. I wish to get notified at all times, on the entire forum, all the topics, everything.

I didn't get a notification when you posted here, even though I checked "notify me" on my first reply. Do we have to check that box all the time??? everytime I reply??? Can't we just make it checked by default?

I understand not to receive a notification if I haven't posted/replied to a topic. But if I post a reply, it should automatically assume I want to know who else replies to the topic or my reply. If I create a new topic, then off course I want to be notified of all replies to it. This should be the default, it sure isn't spam.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 pm

This should be the default
Then YOU (not someone else) can make it the default, or not. User's choice.
Attachments
notify.jpg
notify.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 2668 times

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 pm

look at my post count over there. how many emails do you think I would get if I got one everytime someone replied to a post that I have made?
I think having it default to sending email everytime a reply is made is the wrong way to do it. You should always have to request email, not have it be default to send you email.
According to most definitions of spam, sending any email you did not specifcally request is considered spam.

If I am interested in what is happening on this board or any of my own, I simply go to the board and see what is happening.

If you do not have time to visit your board at least once a day, then why do you have it?

The whole point of web based bulletin boards is to visit the web site /board and use it. It was created to replace the old fashioned email list style of discussions.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Alienizer

Post by Alienizer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 pm

My board is small, very small, and I'm lucky to get one or two replies/post per day, and I don't want the user to wait for a reply, so if I get a notification, I can reply right away, and in turn, he gets a notification too that I have replied (or someone else). That's why for small boards like mine, a default would be nice to have, rather then censoring what we should use as a default. My users are not php developers, nor heavy board users, they have no idea they can change settings, and know just about nothing about computers in general. They post a question on the board, then a few hours later, email me instead because they didn't get a notification by default. So I have to tell them to look at the post first before emailing me. Twice the work for me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”