I appologize in advance for the amount of text that follows but I want to try to help make sure this thread finds its way onto the search engines. Feel free to skip to the picture to look at my setup, but please keep in mind this will limit you to 250 relays per day unless you pay GoDaddy for additional relays.
I hope this post will save a few people the hours I spent digging. If so then I've done my good deed for the year.
I know I'm not the only one that has spent way too much time trying to research how to get around the huge delay when sending emails through GoDaddy's hosted service. I'm hoping that people having the same problem I was having will find this post useful. It might save someone the headaches I went through. Please keep in mind this is not how GoDaddy will tell you to set it up. They will tell you to use relay-hosting.secureserver.net for your smtp address. I tried this and it will send mail but it was taking up to an hour for my users to receive their registration notification. Instead of using relay-hosting.secureserver.net I used smtpout.secureserver.net. This is the smtp relay server for the free email account (which you must setup to get this to work).
- Does not (at least for me) appear to use any of the 250 relays a day your limited to with the free email address you get with your site
- emails, notifications etc, can take up to and somtimes over one hour to deliver.
- Emails are delivered almost instantly/immediately
- Emails sent by your forum will use the 250 relays you're allowed daily on the free account. If your board has a heavy traffic load you will need to contact GoDaddy support to increase the number of relays you're allowed daily. There are limitations to the number of relays you can send daily and you may have to pay GoDaddy for additional relays so please keep that in mind when considering this solution.
I was experience these problems/errors and this was the final email setup for GoDaddy using phpBB that worked for me. I'm not promising this will be your fix but if you're having trouble with smtp settings for GoDaddy please give this smtp setup for GoDaddy a try. My email delays for phpBB through GoDaddy went from 30 minute email delay to an hour email delay to almost instant delivery.
1. Emails from phpBB through GoDaddy were failing to transmit via an external SMTP relay (I've read multiple posts doesn't appear to be a way around this, what I'm reading states that GoDaddy blocks customers from using an external smtp for their hosted site <insert choice word here>.
2. Emails using the "Mail" function built into phpBB could take up to an hour to deliver (everything I've read says this can be pretty much expected when using the internal mail function)
3. Emails using relay-hosting.secureserver.net were taking over an hour to deilver. I assume this is due to the number of sites using this unlimited free relay through GoDaddy, it's just an smtp backlog (could be wrong)
Thank you for your patience through all that text...and now the good stuff:
must be used as the contact, return and username. I tried using different contact and return email information so I could get the replys at a different account but GoDaddy appeared to be blocking them. The SMTP password needs to match the password you setup for the free email account provided by GoDaddy with your site. SMTP port needs to be set to 80. SMTP will not work on port 25 or alternate port 587 make sure your SMTP is on port 80. Email package size had to be set to 0. When set to the default value of 50 messages were being delivered but were taking 30 minutes to an hour to arrive. Someone with more knowledge of phpBB and what this email package size represents might be able to explain why this happens. I'm not sure, I just know at 50 there's a delay and with it set to 0 emails are being delivered immediately...and now the screen shot: