Running updater after "Changed Files Only" upgrade

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ncc1701d

Running updater after "Changed Files Only" upgrade

Post by ncc1701d »

The version in my ACP after a manual "changed Files Only" update still says 3.0.7-PL1

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.7-PL1
What is your board's URL? http://n/a
Who do you host your board with? easycgi
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
What styles do you currently have installed? none
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
When did your problem begin? trying to upgrade from 3.0.7-pl to 3.08
Please describe your problem. Since my host provider had some "easy" installation set up for phpBB, I installed it through them. When I went to upgrade (again using their 'easy' upgrade utility), it didn't work. Apparently it has something to do with a domain pointer I have set up for my board. So, I manually replaced each file as per the "Changed Files Only" way.

It stilled says it is version 3.0.7-PL1, so I went back to the support page for updating to see what I'd missed and the last thing it says is "As for the other update procedures you should run install/database_update.php after you have finished updating the files. This will update your database schema and increment the version number."

How do I now run the install/database_update.php? I thought I was trying to avoid this due to my apparently odd way of hosting.
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4778 $)
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Running updater after "Changed Files Only" upgrade

Post by Brf »

ncc1701d wrote: How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
We cannot help you with upgrades to installs done by host scripts. You would need to replace your files with the ones downloaded from here. Replace all of the files except config.php.

ncc1701d

Post by ncc1701d »

Brf wrote:
ncc1701d wrote: How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
You would need to replace your files with the ones downloaded from here. Replace all of the files except config.php.
I'm pretty sure I've correctly replaced all the files from the .zip folder downloaded from here to my installed phpBB. I can't find any that say "config.php", so haven't replaced them.

My phpBB still works fine after I have manually replaced the files, so I guess it's ok (?), it's just that it's not showing that it is 3.0.8 in the ACP.

After I downloaded the 'Change file only" .zip file, there is a folder called "install" (separate from the "phpBB-3.0.7-PL1_to_3.0.8" folder). In that folder there are the files I think I'm supposed to "run" there is "database_update.php", "index.php", "install_main.php" and "phpinfo.php". If they are the correct files, where am I supposed to put them? (I've put all the ones from the "phpBB-3.0.7-PL1_to_3.0.8" folder into the correct place, just not sure where to put these ones from the "install" folder.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Upload the install folder from the new files you downloaded.
Point your browser at http://yourboard/install/database_update.php and let it run to completion.

ncc1701d

Post by ncc1701d »

Thanks - just upload it anywhere to my server or in the folder that has all the files?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Upload to the area that your phpBB3 files are located.
After the database update is complete delete the install folder.

ncc1701d

Post by ncc1701d »

Excellent! Thank you. That's worked perfectly. I hope I can do the same thing for the next update. Cheers!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”