How to restrict downloading of files to members only.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
SierraFox

How to restrict downloading of files to members only.

Post by SierraFox » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

I have an automotive forum that has a lot of manufacturers service manuals. A lot of these files are bigger than 192MB which is the maximum attachment limit allowed by GoDaddy Hosting.

So to get around attachments I have FTP a lot of the files to my server and then made link giving members the ability to download these files.

However I dont want GUESTS to be able to download these files without registering and becoming a member of the forums.

Also I would like to figure out how to restrict people from taking our links and posting them on other websites for download. I feel that if I can get the original restriction in place for the GUESTS that it will negate off-site linking anyways.

Thanks in advance!

abumslife

Re: How to restrict downloading of files to members only.

Post by abumslife » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:21 pm

pretty sure it's set to default that they cannot... this is where you will look

ACP>Permissions>Groups Forum Permissions>Guests>All Forums>Advanced Permissions>Content>Can Download Files>No

SierraFox

Post by SierraFox » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Ya that permission is only for Attachemnts.

But if you upload files, for example a large PDF, RAR, ZIP, etc, then make a path direclty to the file so when you click on it it prompts for a download.

I dont want anonymous users to be able to get on the website and directly download the file or link it elsewhere.

The only alternative I have found so far is simply to disable the forums to GUESTS all together. This way they are forced to register just to browse the forums. Which is a big turn off to users.

SierraFox

Post by SierraFox » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Anyone else have a solution?

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:27 pm

You could put the links in a forum that's only accessible to members. You can always tell non-members that this forum is available, but only if they register, and give a list of what's in there in a public forum.
Getting braver all the time. :D

progster

Post by progster » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Yeah, I find this a major overlooked feature.

It is perfectly logical to me to want to allow guests to see postings (including the pictures, which requires 'Can Download Files' priv), but not be able to download attached files (which also requires 'Can Download Files' priv) until they join.

IOW, I strongly think that viewing inline pictures and downloading attached files should be separate privs!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

If you can view it, that means it has already been downloaded to your computer by your browser. That's the way the internet works, so phpBB cannot have separate permissions for those two things.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

progster

Post by progster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for your comment, but I don't follow completely.

The Board generates pages, embedding text, pictures, links to attachment downloads etc. inside HTML, right?

Why could there not be two separate privs, one of which says "OK, user is allowed to see pictures, build the page with pictures in it", and the other of which says "OK, user is allowed to see availability of and use links to download attached files, so build the page with those links in it."

IOW, no priv for pics, no pics in the page, no priv for downloads, no file attachment download links in the page.

PhpBB3 controls the privs database, the content database, the files database, and the page generation - I don't track with how "it can't be done" can be the bedrock final answer here.

progster

Post by progster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 pm

While I'm mentioning this sort of granularity, I'd nominate "Can see Code Block Objects" as another separate priv that could be granted or denied.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm

only put the links in a topic in a forum that is not available for guests to see.

that is the standard way to do it. that is what the permissions system is all about.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:46 pm

progster wrote:Thanks for your comment, but I don't follow completely.

The Board generates pages, embedding text, pictures, links to attachment downloads etc. inside HTML, right?

Why could there not be two separate privs, one of which says "OK, user is allowed to see pictures, build the page with pictures in it", and the other of which says "OK, user is allowed to see availability of and use links to download attached files, so build the page with those links in it."

IOW, no priv for pics, no pics in the page, no priv for downloads, no file attachment download links in the page.

PhpBB3 controls the privs database, the content database, the files database, and the page generation - I don't track with how "it can't be done" can be the bedrock final answer here.
You miss the point. Once you display a picture, it means it can be or already has been downloaded. So there is no difference between displaying and displaying and allowing downloading. The only way a browser can display an image to a user is if it sends the image to the user's local computer. Ever notice how images at a site load faster the second time you visit? Why do you think that is?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”