Adding a registration requirement

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Unlock The Mind

Adding a registration requirement

Post by Unlock The Mind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:00 pm

I have searched the forums and found none that deal with the specific question I have.

I wish to add a quiz that potential registrants must pass before they can register. I have looked at the code of ucp.php and I understand that it is using a switch to detect when someone arrives with the url variable "register" but I don't quite understand what is happening with:

Code: Select all

$module->load('ucp', 'register');
$module->display($user->lang['REGISTER']);
After reading some of the registration questions on here I am thinking that rather than trying to actually modify the registration process built into ucp.php it might be easier (better?) to change all the registration links to connect to my quiz (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2110354) and if they pass the quiz send them a registration code to replace the CAPCHA code (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2111999).

Would anyone have feedback on either modifying the logic of ucp.php to interpose my quiz page before the rest of the registration process or on the alternate registration redirect and invite idea? If anyone can suggest a better solution or improvements to my idea I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
"My mind is aglow with whirling nodes of transient thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
--Blazing Saddles
Unlock The Mind

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Adding a registration requirement

Post by stevemaury » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Why not just use required Custom profile fields? How many questions to the quiz? And what type of question?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Unlock The Mind

Post by Unlock The Mind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Well there will be 3-5 questions, generated randomly from a pool of 50 or so. They would be multiple choice questions.

The reason custom profile fields won't work is that there are right and wrong answers. The quiz must be assessed to see if they passed prior to them registering. If I add custom profile fields I could see what answers they gave, but couldn't "grade" them prior to allowing them to register.
"My mind is aglow with whirling nodes of transient thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
--Blazing Saddles
Unlock The Mind

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:51 pm

You could if you would answer my question as to what type of question there are.

See this - http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- ... mmer-tool/

But this technique could be used to do what you want with either T/F or multiple choice questions.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Unlock The Mind

Post by Unlock The Mind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Hm, that does fulfill the requirement that they answer the questions correctly. However, unless I am mistaken it would always be the same "questions" on the registration page. I don't see how this would work to include 3 random questions from a pool of 50. That is necessary in order to prevent someone from just answering the 3 questions again and again until they get them right.

That is why I was assuming it would be easier to redirect them to an independent quiz page which I built before directing them back to the registration page.

The custom profile fields would work nicely except for the randomization of the questions.
--Blazing Saddles
Unlock The Mind

Unlock The Mind

Post by Unlock The Mind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 pm

I suppose I should explain that this isn't exactly an anti-spam attempt. The reason for the quiz is truly to test the user before they can register. I guess it will have the benefit of blocking spammers, even human spammers (unless they have read the book the questions relate to) but that isn't the primary intent. Thus the requirement that the questions be selected from a larger pool.
--Blazing Saddles
Unlock The Mind

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”