Went from .com to .net same host, now NO Pm e-mail sent WT$

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
camoit

Went from .com to .net same host, now NO Pm e-mail sent WT$

Post by camoit »

Ok we finaly got the host to change the main domain from .com to .net. Now when a pm is sent out the board does not send out an E-Mail notice telling you there is a PM . What could have done this. I have rechecked all the settings and tried to let the board use the smtp server to no use. Can you point me in the corect direction please.
Thanks.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Went from .com to .net same host, now NO Pm e-amil WT$

Post by D¡cky »

Check the error log in the phpBB Administration Control Panel, System tab -> Error Log.

Some hosts do not allow sending out emails from a domain that does not exist on your account. You may have to change the email addresses in General -> Email Settings for Contact e-mail address and Return e-mail address.
Have you hugged someone today?
camoit

Re: Went from .com to .net same host, now NO Pm e-mail sent

Post by camoit »

It's strange. It has been working fine with no errors untill the change over. Now it's like some one just flipped a switch. Now I don't recive mail for some one wanting to sine up to the board. I tried using smtp server but no good. Tech support is asking me for step by step instructions on what they should do on there end.. :shock:
I had them on the board last night and they looked at all the settings. All is good. It's like the thing just fell off. No errors or nothing. Anyone got an idea on this???? I'm at a loss. Where would the .php files be for the mail. I can compair what I have to a fresh board.
Thanks
Camoit
msgerbs

Post by msgerbs »

Did you read what he said above? Your email provider may not allow sending emails from a domain your email account does not have. So if, say, your admin email is still .com and the board is trying to send it with .net, the email server will refuse. Assuming you're hosting your own email, it should be as simple as making sure your email account has a .net address.
camoit

Post by camoit »

Ya thats what I thought at first. It's all on there system in our domain. So I removed all the .com mail settings then made a brand new acount with .net It wont go through the smpt server, or the mail client that is built in the board. We were using the built in mail system for years. Then bang,,, it no work no more. I have no clue at this point. Is there some server setting that they are missing?
The host is JustHost, Ya Ya, I know, I did not pick them.
So what server setting would stop a domain from allowing emails to pass out of it? It's got to be on there end. The test board I have on another host under a sub domain can send mail out to the smpt server on just host and it goes right through. Read this below. It's from them..
IDK Maby somthing is lost in the translation to them. What fuster luck for a tech dept. :evil:
Here is the reply to my support ticket..

I checked server mail logs and found no problems with emails from your domain mightyram50.net .
Please provide me with a step by step instruction how I can test the problem from my end .
--
Kind regards,

Rich Kennedy
Just Host
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

camoit,

In the phpBB Administration Control Panel, go to the Maintenance tab and click Error Log. Is there anything relating to emails?

In the phpBB Administration Control Panel, go to the General tab and click E-mail Settings. What addresses are set for Contact and Return email.

In the hosting control panel, what addresses does this account have?

The Error Log in the Administration Control Panel will show if emails are being rejected by the host's mail server. If there is nothing there, the host's email server is not rejecting the emails so it has to be beyond the mail server. Either the mail server is not sending them out for some reason or the recipient's mail server is rejecting the emails which should show in the sender's email box as a bounced email.
camoit

Post by camoit »

D¡cky wrote:camoit,

In the phpBB Administration Control Panel, go to the Maintenance tab and click Error Log. Is there anything relating to emails?

In the phpBB Administration Control Panel, go to the General tab and click E-mail Settings. What addresses are set for Contact and Return email.

In the hosting control panel, what addresses does this account have?

The Error Log in the Administration Control Panel will show if emails are being rejected by the host's mail server. If there is nothing there, the host's email server is not rejecting the emails so it has to be beyond the mail server. Either the mail server is not sending them out for some reason or the recipient's mail server is rejecting the emails which should show in the sender's email box as a bounced email.

Error log is clean. Nothing in it.
Both E-mail settings are set to theboard@mightyram50.net (for the built in mail syste).
Host C-panle mail settings and password are set in the corect place. I can send and recive mail normaly through the SMTP with my mail client.
OK now to top this off I made a change and turned off the mail SMPT option in the acp. Then went and made a test registration. It sent out mail to me letting me know there was some one wanting to join. But it won't send out mail to let me know there is a PM on the board. WTF... I'm totaly at a loss on this. I have looked at the code and database changed everything i could find with the .com and changed it to .net every e-mail address is corect. WOW is all I can say on this one.
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

camoit wrote:But it won't send out mail to let me know there is a PM on the board.
In your User Control Panel -> Board Preferences, is "Notify me on new private messages" set to Yes?
camoit

Post by camoit »

Yes it sure is. I just checked it. It's strange. It will tell me there is a new guy wanting to join. But all of the other acounts nothing. I have made myself new acounts sent mail to my self but nothing. I'm at a total loss on this one. No matter what I do or change settings. Does anybody know what server settings might be stopping it. Maby some spam thing on there end?
Here is another one to add to it. I can send out a mass e-mail through the ACP. But PMs are no good.
camoit

Post by camoit »

Here is one more thing that is going on. The users that loged in 24 hours is now just adding users and not keeping count corectly. It's at 100 and going. Normaly we have around 60 in 24 hours. Any Ideas on thiese problems?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”