Moving phpbb2 forum to phpbb3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
JasonWade

Moving phpbb2 forum to phpbb3

Post by JasonWade »

Hi,

I got a question about moving a forum. Before phpbb3 was here I've moved my own forum once or twice without dataloss, no problem, but now I want to move a forum for a friend and I got a questino about that (hope this si the right forum):

This friend has a free phpbb forum, using phpbb2, I want to move this forum for her with all the users etc. and immediately make it phpbb3, can I make a phpbb3 board and then import the phpbb2 database backup or do I have to have a phpbb2 forum first and then after importing the backup upgrade to phpbb3? (Hope I formulated this understandably)
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: Moving phpbb2 forum to phpbb3

Post by callumacrae »

It would be easier to move it and then upgrade, and yes, it is possible

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
JasonWade

Post by JasonWade »

Callum95 wrote:It would be easier to move it and then upgrade, and yes, it is possible

~Callum
If that is better, do you know if there's still somewhere where I can download phpbb2?
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

JasonWade wrote:If that is better, do you know if there's still somewhere where I can download phpbb2?
Why don't you just copy the files from the old board?

EDIT: Are you using a free forum host? Could I possibly have a link to the old board?

~Callum
JasonWade

Post by JasonWade »

Callum95 wrote:
JasonWade wrote:If that is better, do you know if there's still somewhere where I can download phpbb2?

EDIT: Are you using a free forum host? Could I possibly have a link to the old board?

~Callum
it's a completely free host, I (or the owner) has no ftp access, all she can get is a backup of the database.

I could give you a link, but the forum is down now, we're waiting for it to get back up, that's the reason she wants to move it, too much downtime lately...
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

JasonWade wrote:
Callum95 wrote:

~Callum
it's a completely free host, I (or the owner) has no ftp access, all she can get is a backup of the database.

I could give you a link, but the forum is down now, we're waiting for it to get back up, that's the reason she wants to move it, too much downtime lately...
You can get the 2.x files here

~Callum

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”