How do I stop unregistered guests from posting?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
tommyvin711

How do I stop unregistered guests from posting?

Post by tommyvin711 »

I don't know exactly what I did yesterday when I was fooling around in the ACP but what I did is now allowing unregistered guests to post tons of advertisements. I think I did something in the guests' permissions. Before I get into more trouble, I hope someone can give me a step-by-step guide so I can keeps the creeps out of my discussion forum.

I think I set the guests groups forum permissions to Standard. I'm not sure of this though.

TheSnake

Re: How do I stop unregistered guests from posting?

Post by TheSnake »

ACP -> Permissions -> Groups Forum Permissions -> Select the "Guests" Group & click Submit -> Select Forum/Multiple Forums & click Submit -> Role -> Choose "Read Only Access" -> click "Apply All Permissions".

tommyvin711

Post by tommyvin711 »

I followed all the steps but I still see: You can post new topics. You can reply to topics, etc.

The only thing I might have done wrong is that I checked the square box for all forums. Is this what you meant by Select Forum/Multiple Forums?

"Read only access" was on each of my forums. Then I clicked "Apply all permissions."

Is there anything else I can do? I know there must be an easy fix to my problem.

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

The "all forums" tick box you refer to, is just applying the permissions you set to all the forums & subforums within.

Have you tried to use a guest account (different browser or computer) & actually try to make a post to any of the forums?

tommyvin711

Post by tommyvin711 »

Have you tried to use a guest account (different browser or computer) & actually try to make a post to any of the forums?
I don't have to try. Other "guests" like Doopsylob are already posting ads for Canadian Pharmacy in French and Greek and English.

I still see under Forum Permissions:

You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can post attachments.

I hope eventually to see those cans changed to cannots. There must be a button I can click or an incantation I can chant.

kinkoa
Name: Adam Wheeler

Post by kinkoa »

can you provide a link?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

When you go back to check the permissions, are they set on read only for the guest group or have they 'reverted' back to no role?

Is the anonymous account in the guest group? It should be in that group only.

If guests can post then either the permissions have not been set correctly or that account is not where it should be.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

tommyvin711

Post by tommyvin711 »

When you go back to check the permissions, are they set on read only for the guest group or have they 'reverted' back to no role?
I just looked. Permissions Tab/Groups' forum permissions
Guests [Forum Permissions] Role: Read Only Access

So I think all my forums are Read Only Access.
Is the anonymous account in the guest group?
I don't know how to determine that. Before all this happened (guests being able to post) I tinkered a bit with Anonymous. Can you tell me how to fix this? It might be the problem.

Here is the URL to my discussion forum - http://www.shapeyourface.com/syfbb

You can see the guest who has just posted - ditslinly. I deleted dozens of similar ad slingers.

I'm getting an education in phpBB by working through these problems with your help.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

ACP, General, manage groups, Guests group, Members. If Anonymous is not a member, type that username in the area for adding users and Submit.

Then, in Manage users, Groups (from the dropdown, upper right) make sure he is not a member of any other group. If he is, delete him from those groups.

If you have deleted the user entirely, run this SQL ( Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin KB ):

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_id, user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_from, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_jabber, user_website, user_occ, user_interests, user_actkey, user_newpasswd, user_allow_massemail) VALUES (1, 2, 1, 'Anonymous', 'anonymous', 0, '', '', 'en', 1, 0, '', 0, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', 0);
Change the table prefix if yours is not phpbb_
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

tommyvin711 wrote: I tinkered a bit with Anonymous
For reference, this is the account used by everyone who is not logged in.
It should be left alone. It should be in the guest group and no other. You can check it in the group management >members
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

tommyvin711

Post by tommyvin711 »

ACP, General, manage groups, Guests group, Members. If Anonymous is not a member, type that username in the area for adding users and Submit.
Under Approved members is - Anonymous, Yes, Wed, Nov 24, 2010

So Anonymous is there.

Then, in Manage users, Groups (from the dropdown, upper right) make sure he is not a member of any other group. If he is, delete him from those groups.
On the General tab, Manage users, I found no dropdown menu, so I don't know if Anonymous is a member of another group. Is there another way to find this out?

3. In Manage groups, Guests, Members I see Anonymous.

If you have deleted the user entirely, run this SQL ( Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin KB ):
I don't know if I have deleted the user entirely. Shall I still have my hosting service run the SQL?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

From your site address it looks like you have guest posting allowed as per permissions.

Change one forum first.

Permissions
groups forum permissions
read only

Submit.

Logout and check that forum.
Cheap UK Hosting

tommyvin711

Post by tommyvin711 »

I checked out what you suggested: Permissions/Groups forum permissions/Guests.

I first did one forum and then all. Role: Read Only Access was there for all forums.

What's the difference between Apply all permissions and Reset. Perhaps I should click Reset but I'm afraid to experiment any more because I don't want to do more damage.

How about having my website hosting service run that SQL code I was given?

All this is like a chess puzzle - too many moves to consider.

I'll really like writing a final message in which I thank everyone for solving my problem.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

PM me an admin login. I'll have a look.
tommyvin711 wrote:What's the difference between Apply all permissions and Reset.
If you've changed any advanced permissions away from a preset role it will reset it back to the original setup.
'Apply all' will apply all the changes to all the groups and forums that you've set on that page.
Cheap UK Hosting

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I said earlier
Kevin Clark wrote:Is the anonymous account in the guest group? It should be in that group only.
The guest anonymous account was also in the admin group.

I took it out of there and you now have the correct 'read only' permissions for guests.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”