Rank images and Favicon not working + Custom Category issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
kirnath

Rank images and Favicon not working + Custom Category issue

Post by kirnath »

I am currently running Joomla 1.5 w/ rokbridge where the bridge folder is /forums and the main directory is at /phpbb and The current forums style is NOT a rocket bridge theme it is just one that i have modified from http://www.phpbb3styles.net/

Now the issues are, I have researched everything I could to get these working.... from phpbb hacks sites to area51 to these forums ... etc. and nothing seems to work.

Favicon.ico: I have added the code for the favicon in the overall_header where it should be, and I have re-cached the entire 4 times (along w/ just the style). I have placed the favicon.ico in every "image" folder imaginable .... and it still is not appearing on ANY browser.

Ranks: location is at phpbb/images/ranks according to my server settings, the images are .png and in listed directory...and they still are not appearing in the drop down menu.

My one last question for the day is:

When using custom categories ... is there a way to use a dropdown menu for the choice but have it show up as an avatar?

Thanks to anyone who responds to this :) I am hoping to launch this week, just need to get these issues ironed out.
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
Ag2000CO
Name: Lou

Re: Rank images and Favicon not working + Custom Category is

Post by Ag2000CO »

Favicon.ico:
Don't know what code you added, check this guidance: http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

If you put your favicon in your domain root as described in method #2, no code is necessary. Even if the code is wrong, most browsers will look in the root for the favicon and display it.

Ranks: location is at phpbb/images/ranks according to my server settings, the images are .png and in listed directory...and they still are not appearing in the drop down menu.
Assume that phpbb is the root of you forum. Did you FTP the files to your server?
When using custom categories ... is there a way to use a dropdown menu for the choice but have it show up as an avatar?
Could you explain a little more what you mean? "Custom Categories" of what? Users? Do you mean Groups? YOu can assign a avatar to user groups.
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

I use this method on all my websites/boards, works without fail.

Upload the favicon.ico to your root directory.

Most web browsers do not require any HTML to retrieve a favicon that conforms to the de facto file name and type (favicon.ico) located in the web site's root. If no favicon link is detected upon HTML page load completion and no previous site visits are recorded in the browser's history, a favicon.ico is requested automatically.
kirnath

Post by kirnath »

Ag2000CO wrote: Don't know what code you added, check this guidance: http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon
I'll try this method again, but it didn't work the first time.
Ag2000CO wrote: If you put your favicon in your domain root as described in method #2, no code is necessary. Even if the code is wrong, most browsers will look in the root for the favicon and display it.
I used:

Code: Select all

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://www.phpbb.com/favicon.ico">
which was inserted into the overall_header; after I noticed that just putting it in the root directory.
Ag2000CO wrote: Assume that phpbb is the root of you forum. Did you FTP the files to your server?
Yes. I put them in the root directory, AND in mysite.com/phpbb/images directory; also made sure that the rank images in the server settings was set to one of those.
Ag2000CO wrote:Could you explain a little more what you mean? "Custom Categories" of what? Users? Do you mean Groups? YOu can assign a avatar to user groups.
The custom fields, I've added 4: guild name, server, race, and class. Where I want race and class to be drop down menus but accompanied with an icon for their selected race/class appropriately to display on the user posts & profile.

@ Pit$Bull: Yes that's what I did at first b/c it worked w/out fail before, sadly it wasn't the case this time.
Ag2000CO
Name: Lou

Post by Ag2000CO »

Try this

Code: Select all

<LINK rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="http://mysite.com/favicon.ico">
With the favicon located at mysite.com/favicon.ico. This is where browsers look following the default established by IE.

Just to be sure the rank icons should be in mysite.com/phpbb/images/ranks/ directory. This assumes that the root of your forum is mysite.com/phpbb/
kirnath wrote:The custom fields, I've added 4: guild name, server, race, and class. Where I want race and class to be drop down menus but accompanied with an icon for their selected race/class appropriately to display on the user posts & profile
It would require a MOD to have a drop down menu to fill in custom profile fields.

Admin controls where custom profile fields are displayed by editing settings in ACP >> Users and Groups tab >> Users > Custom Profile fields >> edit > Visibility options
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
kirnath

Post by kirnath »

I'll look into it, tho i'm not handy w/ mods. If anyone is adept in this and could help me out I would be extremely appreciative. :)

I'll try the favicon again...i dono why it hates me.
Hero Factory

Post by Hero Factory »

Hello =)

Abaout your rank problem. You must upload your ranks without zip. Upload one by one the ranks to the images/ranks ;)

Good forums =)
kirnath

Post by kirnath »

yeah they weren't zipped, and I've gotten them working. the fav icon for some reason works.... sometimes.. i don't know why. like one day it'll work and the next it won't. but i'm not too worried about it anymore.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”