Trying to upgrade to 3.0.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
gregkeenan

Trying to upgrade to 3.0.8

Post by gregkeenan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:34 am

Please help
I am computer illiterate, someone else who was good on computer stuff set up a forum for me some time ago but she is no longer available although still the main administrator, I am getting a message that my phpbb is out of date and I should upgrade to 3.0.8, I have attempted to do this and downloaded the upgrade package, but cannot seem to install it, I have unpacked it but then my problems start as I cannot understand the technical jargon, can anybody help me please or does it have to be done by the main administrator (I am an administrator)
Many thanks in anticipation

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Trying to upgrade to 3.0.8

Post by karlsemple » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:37 am

How you update will depends on several factors, so there are a few things we need to know first. What version of phpBB are you currently running and does your board use a custom styles, also does the board have any modification installed?

gregkeenan

Post by gregkeenan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi thanks for the reply, I am on phpBB 3.0.7.-PL1 and I have downloaded the zipped update on the website, and that is where I become unstuck as it tells me to point it at the root directory etc, this means nothing to me and I am at a loss and I am getting a lot of spammers now as well - dont know if that is anything to do with it though
I cant answer custom styles as I dont know what it is, the address is http://www.glencoecyprus.com
[*]Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.7-PL1
What is your board's URL? www.glencoecyprus.com
Who do you host your board with? unknown
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
What styles do you currently have installed? dont understand
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
When did your problem begin? When I tried to update from 3.0.7 to 3.0.8
Please describe your problem. I am computer illiterate and cannot understand it
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4778 $)

I dont know if all my answers are correct - sorry
Last edited by gregkeenan on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Do you have any MOD's installed?
Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

gregkeenan

Post by gregkeenan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Please what is a mod ?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:32 pm

If you have to ask what a MOD is you don't have any :) (modification)

I suggest this option for update:

*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, EXCEPT for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
Explained further:

Download the full version here http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus.php?from=submenu
Unzip to your desktop
Remove (delete) the config.php file, images, and the files folders.
Via FTP upload the remaining files/folders to the server overwriting the existing files.
In your browser go to http://glencoecyprus.com/glencoeforum/i ... update.php
Let that run to completion.
Delete the install folder.
Done.

gregkeenan

Post by gregkeenan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Many thanks pit$bull, I will try this in the morning, it is near midnight here now so off to bed, do I back up on to a cd ??

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Or just your HD.

gregkeenan

Post by gregkeenan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:23 am

I am so sorry about this but I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers, I dont even know how to back up something, I have spent the last hour trying to find how to do it, the trouble is everybody uses computer terminology and I just dont understand it, tearing whats left of my hair out, if anybody could explain in simple step by step terms on here or to my e-mail I would be eternally grateful taybank@msn.com
Greg :(

gregkeenan

Post by gregkeenan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:49 am

I got this message when I tried the first part.

[*]Not Found
The requested URL /forumfolder/install/database_update.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.13 Server at glencoecyprus.com Port

I hope this makes sense

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:52 am

gregkeenan wrote:I dont even know how to back up something, I have spent the last hour trying to find how to do it
Read Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain - up to and including 1) Using phpMyAdmin to Back Up the Database, this explains how to back up your files and database. You only need the parts as explained above for backing up.

Generally what I do is make a new folder (or directory or whatever you want to call it) on my desktop and call it 'backup + todays date'. Inside that folder I make another folder called 'files'.

Using your FTP (Filezilla?) client, copy ALL the board files from the board root including the full directory structure to your new 'files' folder folder as per the section "Backing up the phpBB Files".

Note: Copying, deleting, cutting and pasting etc, using an FTP client, is similar to using the same functions within windows explorer or the Mac equivalent. The board structure is treated as though it was an extra drive on your home computer, you can carry out the same operations as if you were doing it between two folders on your pc.

Using phpMyAdmin make a copy of your database as per the section "Backing Up the Database" and save the generated *.sql file (your database) to the new folder root.

When completed you should have a backup folder with a structure similar to:
struct.png
struct.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Once everything is backed up to your satisfaction you can then carry on with the update instructions as previously posted.
gregkeenan wrote:I got this message when I tried the first part.

[*]Not Found
The requested URL /forumfolder/install/database_update.php was not found on this server
The error is saying that the /install folder doesn't exist, you need to:
Pit$Bull wrote:Upload all new files from a download of the full version, EXCEPT for config.php, the /images and /files folders
To your board folder, in this case:

http://glencoecyprus.com/glencoeforum/

When you've successfully uploaded the files as per above you will have an 'install' folder in your board folder called 'install' like this:

http://glencoecyprus.com/glencoeforum/[b]install[/b]

In your browser go to http://glencoecyprus.com/glencoeforum/i ... update.php

Then follow the rest of the instructions.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

gregkeenan

Post by gregkeenan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks guys,
I have printed everything off and am going to try to get someone local to where I live to help me with it as I am a complete haddock with this sort of thing.
Could anyone reccommend somebody who could look after (host) the board for an annual fee, because I am now being asked by people to put their business adverts on it and I wouldn't know where to start with this
Thanks in advance
G

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”