Transfer: Same Forum, New Server & New Database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
SvenLittkowski

Transfer: Same Forum, New Server & New Database

Post by SvenLittkowski » Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 am

Hi folks,

I have the following problem: I changed my website host, and have now web space on a new server and with new databases. I made a copy of the MySQL database of the PHPBB forum before the old space ceased to be accessable, and have that file now on my PC.

What's the exact procedure to bring the old forum to new life on the new server and new database?
Thanks for reading, good intentions, your time and a good answer.

Sven

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Transfer: Same Forum, New Server & New Database

Post by karlsemple » Tue May 03, 2011 6:57 am

How did you make the backup of the old boards database? How the backup of the database was made will determine how you go about restoring it. If the backup was made using the phpBB Admin panel backup feature you would simply need to install a fresh phpBB installation and then upload the backup into the store folder, you would then be able to simply restore it from the Admin panel (assuming the table prefixes are the same for the old and new installation) Obviously, if you made the backup using phpmyadmin or other database management tool you would then restore you could create a new database using the same tool and the new server and the restore your back up using it into the newly created database. Getting the board to use the data would then require a simple edit the config.php to point the new phpBB installation at the database containing the restored data :)

SvenLittkowski

Post by SvenLittkowski » Tue May 03, 2011 7:38 am

Hi, thanks.

I did the backup with PHPMyAdmin. I restored the database already. Now I try to edit that config.php file. Let's see.

Sven

SvenLittkowski

Post by SvenLittkowski » Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks - it all worked! Problem solved! This thread can be closed.

Sven

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”