Stop Forum Spam

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
gomerpile

Stop Forum Spam

Post by gomerpile »

Hello all, I'm gomer and I have tried the automated banning mod by 'ABD' microUgly.
So far this part is working:
Optionally, if you also want to block registrations based on the supplied username

Open /includes/functions_user.php
At the end of the validate_username function, before "return false" (should be line 1483) insert:

Code: Select all
$sfsReturn = include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/mods/stopforumspam-disallow.php');
if ($sfsReturn !== TRUE) return $sfsReturn;
Make sure you get the path correct for your system.

Also I had the IP banning:
Extract the files into a folder on your host.
Open /includes/session.php
In the function check_ban() find $db->sql_freeresult($result); (should be line 1117)
AFTER that line include stopforumspam-ban.php. For example:

Code: Select all
include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/mods/stopforumspam-ban.php'

I had some problems with IP ban, not with new users or guest, I get an SQL error in ACP banning options.

Anyways, I have been free of bot registers for 1 week using stopforums banning, with ban of user name in conjunction with Spammer Detection MOD
Dark matter is part of us all, a heart beats from electrical impulse, dark matter consumes energy, death lives in dark matter, we live after death through particles of energy consumed by dark matter(black hole) cycle of lifes energy is out there being collected by????????? DARKMATTER

anothernovice

Re: Stop Forum Spam

Post by anothernovice »

Do a search for the "sortables" mod or "keycaptcha" both work great! The advantage of the sortables mod is that it is not dependent on a third party website. Also when using the sortables use at least 5 variations in EACH category, that makes it damn near impossible for an automated entry. I have been using the sortables mod since it was released and have not had 1 single spam account or post.

Excellent work on the mods!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”