Style Themes in Database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide

Style Themes in Database

Postby water01 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:14 pm

I have been looking at the "Purge Cache causes huge server load" Topic and I see that it is advised that all Styles should be held in the Filesystem not the Database.

So I thought I ought to check my forum as inherited it from a previous Admin to see where mine are held. Everything is in the filesystem except for the Themes for prosilver, Glacier and Charcoal. So I thought I would move them to the Filesystem, but when I try I get a warning that "The theme requires that its stylesheet is parsed. This is only possible if it’s stored in the database.".

It seems to be saying that these styles themes therfore cannot be stored in the filesystem or am I incorrect in my interpretation of the Warning message?
water01

Re: Style Themes in Database

Postby soumik » Mon May 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Almost all stylesheets contain variables in braces, referencing to localised images (like Post Reply, etc), so they need to be parsed, and hence can only be stored in the database.
Powered by chocolate
soumik

Postby water01 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

So how do I get my latest version of the theme stored in the database, because if I alter the file system CSS with an editor and then refresh it I lose the modifications?
water01

Postby Mick » Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 am

water01 wrote:I have been looking at the "Purge Cache causes huge server load" Topic

That particular problem was caused by an old style (3.0.0) being manually updated to 3.0.8 but mistakes were made with the manual update. It has nothing to do with the way phpBB stores information.
Remember, it's not the magic wand it's the magician! All unsolicited PM's will be trashed.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby water01 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am

water01 wrote:So how do I get my latest version of the theme stored in the database, because if I alter the file system CSS with an editor and then refresh it I lose the modifications?

Thanks for the reply Mixstar but waht about my question above, as this has always been a mystery to me.
water01

Postby DavidIQ » Tue May 10, 2011 11:24 am

water01 wrote:So how do I get my latest version of the theme stored in the database, because if I alter the file system CSS with an editor and then refresh it I lose the modifications?

If you have modified the CSS stylesheets directly you wouldn't lose those changes ever. What you would lose are changes you would have done in the editor in the ACP if you were to refresh the theme as those changes would be replaced with what is directly in the stylesheets. This obviously only applies if the stylesheet is stored in the database as is the case with prosilver.
Apply to become a Jr. MOD Validator | My mods | Need a mod Installed/created or a template adaptation?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
DavidIQ
MOD Team Leader
MOD Team Leader

Name: David Colón

Postby water01 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:32 am

DavidIQ wrote:

If you have modified the CSS stylesheets directly you wouldn't lose those changes ever. What you would lose are changes you would have done in the editor in the ACP if you were to refresh the theme as those changes would be replaced with what is directly in the stylesheets. This obviously only applies if the stylesheet is stored in the database as is the case with prosilver.

Thanks David, but to make sure I understand are you saying that for a theme held in the database, if you edit the filesystem copy with an editor and then refresh the theme, the edited copy in the filesystem is written back to the database, which is why if you use the ACP and then do a refresh you lose the modifications it stores in the database as they are overwritten by the filesystem version?
water01

Postby DavidIQ » Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 am

That's exactly right. :geek:
Apply to become a Jr. MOD Validator | My mods | Need a mod Installed/created or a template adaptation?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
DavidIQ
MOD Team Leader
MOD Team Leader

Name: David Colón

Postby water01 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Thank you for clarifying that, I appreciate it.
water01

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum