View Active Topics

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
January616
Name: January

View Active Topics

Post by January616 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:44 pm

On my board, the "View Active topics" were working since the setup in the beginning. I did something the other day, and changed some permissions around with another forum when adding a subforum. I have no idea how to get it to show again. I've gone in and edited one of the forums "general discussion" to click the box saying "show active topics" but when I go back to the index and click to show, it shows that there are no active topics.

can you please tell me how to make the "View Active "topics" show up.

thank you
You had me at Merlot

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: View Active Topics

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 21, 2011 1:58 pm

In ACP, Forums tab, Settings (the green gear icon) make sure "Display active topics" is set to "yes" for all forums.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

January616

Post by January616 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:05 pm

stevemaury wrote:In ACP, Forums tab, Settings (the green gear icon) make sure "Display active topics" is set to "yes" for all forums.
I went in and there's an option to set to 'yes' for that forum only. When I did, it asked me to set permissions again. Is that correct? I didn't set the permissions again, so when I checked it didn't show the active topics on the index page either.

Before I go further, I assume I have to go into each forum and set to 'yes' for each and then copy permissions from another forum? correct?
You had me at Merlot

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm

It didn't ask you to set permissions again. It said you could. There is no reason to change permissions when you do this. It is not a permission. You do not need to copy permissions.

In fact, the display of that message strikes me as being a bug and I am going to report it.

EDIT - http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10190

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

January616

Post by January616 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:02 pm

It's not working, so I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

I went into 3 forums and set the view active topics to 'yes' and then hit submit. Then the page gave me the big green box saying I am able to set permissions, which I ignored.

From the index page, when I hit 'view active topics' the only thing I see is a global message I added earlier. When I got into one of the forums that I set to 'yes', it says no active topics.
You had me at Merlot

January616

Post by January616 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

for now, I've set the forum "show active topics" back to 'no' because it's not the way I wanted it displayed anyway.

Before yesterday it was working fine. Each individual forum was set to 'no' and when you clicked on a category, each category had about 5 forums. None of those individual forums were ever set to 'yes'.

However, from the main index page, the 'view active topics' showed the active topics and now they don't. But they were before even though the individual forums were set to 'no'.

When you would click on a category from the main index page you would see the many forums in there. I wouldn't want to see active topics above that, so that's why it was set to 'no', but I still wanted them to be able to be viewed from the index page, which would have shown all active topics from all over the board (with the acception of course to the hidden forums where only admins or mods can new).

I hope I'm making myself clear, I'm a newbie at this and not too tech savvy.

Thank you
You had me at Merlot

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Well, what happened in between when it worked and it didn't?

January616

Post by January616 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm

In between, I created a subforum for 2 of those forums and copied permissions from a similiar forum. When I did that it also copied the forum moderators, which was wrong, so I went and removed those permissions and copied the permissions from a forum that didn't have forum moderators so those permissions were perfect now.

That's when I noticed that now when I went into those categories to view the 5 forums in those categories, I saw all these active posts first and all the forums fell to the bottom and it looked like they weren't there.

So now I went into the ACP to see what the difference was between that category and all the others that were viewing correctly. The difference was all those other categories were set to "no", so I set the others back to no too and the categories were viewing the way they always were.

Now the 'view active topics' up top of the main index page aren't showing the active topics and they were before.

I hope I didn't lose you. :lol: I'm still learning.

Actually, I never used that link to view active topics, but my members did and they told me it stopped working after I did all that stuff. so, maybe it's me. I have to go out now, but I'll be back later and read your response.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
You had me at Merlot

January616

Post by January616 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Trial and error ... works every time.

I needed to go into the 2nd set of gears to have it display correctly on the index page. The first set had it displaying in the wrong place (in each forum). I had to have the first set of green gears for the category set to "no" and the inside set (for each forum" set to "yes".

I don't know how they all got turned around to begin with because it was very time consuming for me to go into each forum and set to "yes". I would have remembered doing that since it took me about 20 minutes or so to change them back. So, somehow it all changed to 'no' with one thing I may have done by mistake the other day. :o

Well, I'm ok now. :mrgreen:

thank you
You had me at Merlot

DonkeyBike

Post by DonkeyBike » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am

stevemaury wrote:In ACP, Forums tab, Settings (the green gear icon) make sure "Display active topics" is set to "yes" for all forums.
I'd never have found that. Brilliant !

Thanks Steve.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”