3.0.8 Missing ipv6 support/ Content Decoding issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Kisai

3.0.8 Missing ipv6 support/ Content Decoding issue

Post by Kisai » Thu May 26, 2011 2:18 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.8
What is your board's URL? http://forums.keenspot.com
Who do you host your board with? keenspot.com
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.7
What styles do you currently have installed? default
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
When did your problem begin? Problem began with moving the forums from a ipv4 host to a ipv6 machine

Please use this URL, it will replicate from it, you need ipv6 to replicate the problem:
This webpage is not available
The webpage at http://forums.keenspot.com/posting.php? ... 63#preview might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.
Please describe your problem. When trying to post, the browser throws the encoding error, in all browsers. I looked at what is going on with wireshark and it seems that PHP is throwing errors into the gzip stream (we have all the errors directed to /var/php_error.log but this isn't supposed to happen)

Anyway the lines it's complaining about are trying to read the IP address in ipv4 notation.

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/session.php</b> on line <b>1252</b>: <b>Undefined offset: 3</b><br />
<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/session.php</b> on line <b>1252</b>: <b>Undefined offset: 2</b><br />
<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/session.php</b> on line <b>1252</b>: <b>Undefined offset: 1</b><br />

The line in question:
if ($ip)
{
$quads = explode('.', $ip);
$reverse_ip = $quads[3] . '.' . $quads[2] . '.' . $quads[1] . '.' . $quads[0];
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4778 $)

Note that the server is ipv6 reachable, and you need to have an ipv6 address and connect to phpBB on a ipv6 host to be able to replicate the problem at all. As for the content encoding error, AFAIK when phpBB turns on Gzip it's not turning off errors/warnings, so for whatever reason phpbb is sending the non-compressed warnings in front of a gzip stream (see other threads about this happening when they don't have the php.ini timezone set)

I've temporarily fixed it with:

Code: Select all

$reverse_ip=$ip;
if(isset($quads[3])){
$reverse_ip=$quads[3].'.'.$quads[2].'.'.$quads[1].'.'.$quads[0];
}
A proper way to recognize ipv6 is required. I don't have time to write one right now and have no data to check the dnsbl with. I'm posting this as a "please fix" and that it might also hilight a way bots may be getting around ip bans.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Name: Andreas Fischer

Re: 3.0.8 Missing ipv6 support/ Content Decoding issue

Post by bantu » Thu May 26, 2011 8:01 am

Hello,

yup, this looks like a bug in phpBB. I've reported it at http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10195

Thanks,
bantu.