Permission question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
yosmc

Permission question

Post by yosmc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 pm

My members have complained about forums showing up in the navigation dropdown, even though they are not visible on the forum index. I am fine with the forums not showing up on the index because the categories and parent forums they are in are disallowed (no viewing permissions). And I am aware that the subforums don't inherit the permissions of parent forums - so while they don't show up, they are still accessible if someone has the correct permissions. But is it expected behavior that they also show up in the dropdown?

I've tried to research this, and found this thread: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2020065

...which seems to have conflicting information:
nickvergessen wrote:You can access these forums. for example through the jumpbox on the viewtopic.php ;)
Brf wrote:The current permissions allow you to create totally-hidden forums though, by placing them as subforums of forums to which the users have no permissions. Therefore the hidden subforums are only accessible by link, or by typing the address into your webbrowser addressbar. They do not show on the forum structure, or jumpbox.
Any pointers?

(Disclaimer: I have am running a modded version of 3.0.8., but I am not looking for specific help for my specific install - all I'm trying to find out is how plain vanilla phpBB works by design. Thanks!)

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Permission question

Post by Brf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 pm

The jumpbox should not show any forums you do not have access to see.
Theoretically, you could have "visible" forums hidden under parent forums that you cannot see, then if your forum tree structure is messed up, those "hidden" forums might show in the jumpbox.

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Brf wrote:Theoretically, you could have "visible" forums hidden under parent forums that you cannot see, then if your forum tree structure is messed up, those "hidden" forums might show in the jumpbox.
But that actually means there's something messed up in my database, right? So if I have "visible" forums hidden under parent forums that I cannot see, then they shoudn't show up in the jumpbox unless my tree structure is messed up. Correct? 8-)

If so, do you happen to be aware of a script that might fix such a messed up tree structure?

EDIT: I guess this would probably be the answer - http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes. Use the left-right fix in the toolkit.

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks for the help!

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Late UPDATE: I'm still having this issue, and the STK left/right fix didn't solve it.

Any other ideas?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 am

probably, you do not have your permissions set the way you think you do.

use the permissions mask to see where the faulty permissions are set at.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:probably, you do not have your permissions set the way you think you do.

use the permissions mask to see where the faulty permissions are set at.

robert
Well, I already know that the permissions for those forums are set to viewable. But they are in a category which is set to NEVER viewable, and according to the following statement from brf, this just shouldn't be happening:
Brf wrote:The current permissions allow you to create totally-hidden forums though, by placing them as subforums of forums to which the users have no permissions. Therefore the hidden subforums are only accessible by link, or by typing the address into your webbrowser addressbar. They do not show on the forum structure, or jumpbox.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:54 pm

What exactly are the permissions on the category?

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Brf wrote:What exactly are the permissions on the category?
NEVER for everything.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Hmmmm....
I just checked this on my own forum. The buried forums do indeed show up on the jumpbox. How bothersome. They are just hanging there without their categories. It seems like a bug to me.

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Brf wrote:Hmmmm....
I just checked this on my own forum. The buried forums do indeed show up on the jumpbox. How bothersome. They are just hanging there without their categories. It seems like a bug to me.
Thanks for the confirmation. Will you hint this to the appropriate channels, or should I?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Go ahead and report it to bugtracker

yosmc

Post by yosmc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Did it - here's the reply:
There are two permissions: "Can see forum" and "Can read forum". All readable forums show up in the jumpbox regardless of whether they can be seen on forumlist or not. This is not a bug, but by design so you can still easily navigate to forums you can read.

Showing the forum name without the category in the jumpbox is rather ugly, but I'm not sure what the intended behaviour would be.
If this makes as little sense to you as it does to me, please kindly assist me here.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”