How to repair sessions database?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
phil mailloux

How to repair sessions database?

Post by phil mailloux »

My site has been pulled down by the webhost a few weeks back as apparently there's a problem with the sessions database and slowing down their server big time. The site is back up but starting to slow down again, i'm getting the impression its going to happen again, here's the email the webhost sent me.
For each person that visits your forum a session is created. There is supposed to be some maintenance within phpbb that cleans up old sessions. This doesn't appear to be working for your forum.
Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? I'm running phpbb 3.0.4, if its as simple as a query inside the database can anyone be so nice as to let me know what that would be to input into sql?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: How to repair sessions database?

Post by Pit$Bull »

Have you considered updating your board, seems you're 5 versions behind.

phil mailloux

Post by phil mailloux »

Yeah I know, its been my fear that I erase the whole board by updating it. I'm really no good at all that programming stuff. The webhost also suggested I upgrade it. I'm looking into it right now.

Do you think the sessions problem might go away by upgrading the board?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

go to phpmyadmin or whatever you have to work with your database.
make sure your database is showing. on the right side you will see all the tables listed.
find the sessions table and click in the check box to select it.
now, down at the bottom will be a drip down box that says "with selected" choose empty. do NOT drop it or delete it, choose empty or truncate.

click go.
you are done.

now, there should be no fear of losing everything when updating. all of your posts, members, forums etc. are in the database and you do not mess with the database when updating except for the last stage and you can't hurt it during that part.

the best way to update if you don't have a lot of MODs installed is to simply replace all the old files with new ones except for the config.php file.

then, since you just uploaded the install folder, in your browser, go to:
yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/database_update.php
when it says it is done, you delete the install folder and poof, you are done.

you now have a brand new up to date board with all your members, forums etc. intact.

of course, you should always make backups of everything before you start this process.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

phil mailloux

Post by phil mailloux »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:go to phpmyadmin or whatever you have to work with your database.
make sure your database is showing. on the right side you will see all the tables listed.
find the sessions table and click in the check box to select it.
now, down at the bottom will be a drip down box that says "with selected" choose empty. do NOT drop it or delete it, choose empty or truncate.

click go.
I ended up upgrading my forum to 3.0.8, its a lot easier than I was expecting it to be. I'm still trying to truncate the sessions database but i'm confused. Do i have to select all the databases in the sessions folder? There's no truncate or empty button anywhere, here's a screenshot, can you let me know what I have to do with this?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you are in the wrong place. on the left side, click on your database name at the top.

then, when all those tables are showing on the right hand side. check the box next to the sessions table on the right hand side.
then , at the bottom will be the drop down where you will find the "empty" choice.
make sure you do not have any other boxes than the one next to the sessions table checked.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

phil mailloux

Post by phil mailloux »

Sweet! thanks very much for that

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”