000webhost.com question / help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
TonyB1966

000webhost.com question / help

Post by TonyB1966 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm

My 3.0.x forum had been hosted by this provider for over 2 years. I recently received emails that it is down and re-directs to their website.

I tried to login into my 000webhost account on their website, and I get: This account was canceled, please review our terms of service.

Tos is here: http://www.000webhost.com/includes/tos.php

I contacted support, and got this most recent response:

Hello,

If you see the message 'Canceled for Abuse' on your account, it means it was terminated for violation of our Terms Of Service, located at: http://www.000webhost.com/includes/tos.php

Canceled accounts cannot be reactivated or restored, so be sure to follow our TOS before publishing your website. For security reasons we cannot provide you with exact reason why account was terminated.

Best Wishes,

Volunteer Staff
http://www.000webhost.com
+++++

The message I got said nothing of abuse. I had set-up the forum to help couples who have experienced challenges becoming parents; and I'm happy that the information provided has helped couples achieve that dream. Suffice it to say, I'm getting emails asking about the forum and please restore it.

I don't have any recent back-ups. I just don't know what to do at this point if this provider really cannot help.

Thanks for your input and please, if this is not the right sub-forum, my apologies in advance.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: 000webhost.com question / help

Post by KevC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm

You just need to ask them to clarify the reason.

If they refuse and you've lost it all, all you can do is take your older backup to a new host and restore it to a new installation.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 pm

that is a lame excuse for not being able to tell you what the problem is.

I would get on the phone and keep yelling until someone can tell you why they did this and/or give you a recent backup. If you can get that backup, you can move to a new host that is not full of idiots.

good luck,

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

TonyB1966

Post by TonyB1966 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Thank you Kevin.

From his message, the reason cannot be provided, so I don't know what I'll get in terms of an explanation or any kind of clarification. I made it clear that I received no warnings or notifications that I need to correct something in order to avoid cancellation.

There was very valuable content there for which couples were using that just cannot be re-created. They have autoback-ups, but I doubt they would give me such access.

They just changed data centers and it seems that others (they have a forum) have had issues, too.

TonyB1966

Post by TonyB1966 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:that is a lame excuse for not being able to tell you what the problem is.

I would get on the phone and keep yelling until someone can tell you why they did this and/or give you a recent backup. If you can get that backup, you can move to a new host that is not full of idiots.

good luck,

robert
Robert, I can't find a dang phone number. I'll keep looking...

I spent 100's of hours setting up the forum, and many, many more contributing to it. The messages and emails received from couples around the world thanking me has made this all well worth the time investment. I'm just devastated...

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 pm

here ya go:

000WebHost
ADDRESS: 15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States WEBSITE: http://www.000webhost.com/
EMAIL: info@000webhost.com
PHONE: (480) 624-2599

hope this helps you.
get all your members to call them until they at least give you a database backup. you don't need the files, just the database.

PM me if you need any help.

robertt
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

TonyB1966

Post by TonyB1966 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:here ya go:

000WebHost
ADDRESS: 15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States WEBSITE: http://www.000webhost.com/
EMAIL: info@000webhost.com
PHONE: (480) 624-2599

hope this helps you.
get all your members to call them until they at least give you a database backup. you don't need the files, just the database.

PM me if you need any help.

robertt
Robert - Thank you.

When Googling, I found that phone number and called. They provide tech support for many different companies, but not these guys. The guy was really nice, and he tried finding a phone number for me too, but to no avail...

I'll try the email address, and if that works, maybe I can then have some members do the same.

Robert, thanks for your help, and extending to do so further. Really kind of you.

TonyB1966

Post by TonyB1966 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:41 am

I just noticed that I got a response from them:

Hello,

cancelled/cancelled for abuse is the same. Accounts that were cancelled because of a ToS violation cannot be reactivated.

Very Truly Yours,
http://www.free-installations.info

Volunteer Staff
www.000webhost.com
++++++

Wow, just wow.

1. No notice of a ToS violation / abuse and a chance to rectify (I checked my spam folder too).

2. Once done, no reason as to what the violation / abuse was..

3. Absolutely no way re-activate.

4. And as it stands now, no back-up provided...

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:18 am

start a campaign. get your members, friends etc to contact them and bombard them with complaints.

call the BBB wherever they are located.

to me this type of behaviour is just not to be tolerated.

it is one thing to cancel you, something somebody did on your board might have created a problem that breaks their TOS. who knows. But they should give you the reason why and a change to fix it or at least give you a backup of your files/database so you can move on.

this is just crap.
it takes a lot to get me riled up. I have never sent a meal back to the kitchen in a restaurant in my life.
but this kind of thing really pushes my buttons.

robert

TonyB1966

Post by TonyB1966 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 am

Robert,

I wish I could fight the fight now, really. We have a newborn and a 2 year old keeping us up all night, and running ragged during the day...

The most recent response:

Hello,

Yes, it is customary [to cancel accounts with no notice]. Canceled accounts cannot be reactivated or restored (no backup), so be sure to follow our TOS before publishing your website.
+++

I just can't believe this...

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:02 am

Ask them which specific point in the TOS you've broken and for them to provide evidence of this rule breach.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:31 am

Most important thing is to get a database backup from them. Then find a new host.

Knowledge Base - Moving Your phpBB3 Forum To A New Host Using phpMyAdmin.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Diederik

Post by Diederik » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 pm

I just tested some minor forum on 000webhost.com and YES YES YES after two days two of them got removed due to TOS-violation.

One for sending out spam mail, and the other because my SQL database was toooo big.
Both nonsens.

But the same thing happened to some BB's at WEBBEO

My advice : Forget these free hosting companies <period>

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

We highly recommend that you do not use a free host. Everyone of them has certain issues and limitations.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

TonyB1966

Post by TonyB1966 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm

stevemaury - Lesson learned, believe me.

This is a major loss for me personally, and many couples who were relying upon the content and the communication. I had chronicled, diary like, our journey to parenthood that I had hoped to share with our daughters someday.

With respect to a db back-up, my last response:

Hello,

There is no backup, everything has been terminated.

Many Thanks,
Helpdesk Staff
www.000webhost.com
++++++

Diederik, how were you able to find-out the violation? Were back-up requested and provided?

I have not yet heard back from my email. If I round-up the small number of members for which I have emails, my only recourse would be to give them that address.

If there is any more I can do, please let me know. I just want a db back-up at this point.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”