How do I sticky a post?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Andrea1031

How do I sticky a post?

Post by Andrea1031 »

How do I "sticky" a post? or how do I make the post stay at the top?

AussieFishKeeping

Re: How do I sticky a post?

Post by AussieFishKeeping »

Andrea1031 wrote:How do I "sticky" a post? or how do I make the post stay at the top?
It should give you the option at the bottom when you make the topic. I don't think it gives you the option when you try to edit it.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

You need the Can post stickies permission in the forum you want to make the topic a sticky in. Then the Change topic type to options should appear at the bottom of the posting window. However, the option only appears in the first post of a topic, either when creating it or when editing it.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

AusraliaFfishKeeping wrote: I don't think it gives you the option when you try to edit it.
Incorrect. You can edit the first post to make a topic sticky.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Andrea1031

Post by Andrea1031 »

Oyabun1 wrote:You need the Can post stickies permission in the forum you want to make the topic a sticky in. Then the Change topic type to options should appear at the bottom of the posting window. However, the option only appears in the first post of a topic, either when creating it or when editing it.
How do I get to this? I'm not sure how to even get to the stickies permission. We just started so I'm still not familiar with how to get around on the Edit stuff yet

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Admin Control Panel > Permissions > Forum permissions > Select a forum (or forums) > Manage groups (choose groups) > Edit permissions > Advanced permissions > Post > Can post stickies
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

tittiger

Post by tittiger »

Oyabun1 wrote:Admin Control Panel > Permissions > Forum permissions > Select a forum (or forums) > Manage groups (choose groups) > Edit permissions > Advanced permissions > Post > Can post stickies

I love it! But one question..... how to apply the sticky permission to admins only in one fell swoop?

Thanks!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

As Oyabun1 explained then remove that permission from any other group that may have it.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

tittiger

Post by tittiger »

Mick wrote:As Oyabun1 explained then remove that permission from any other group that may have it.

Sorry I phrased that very poorly.

I meant to ask how can I add the stickies permission for admins to all 20 forums at one time?

I thought of using the copy permissions but knowing so little about permissions that scared me a little bit. I don't even know if things like that are stored in the data base or a config file of phpBB.

Thanks again.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Oyabun1 wrote:Admin Control Panel > Permissions > Forum permissions > Select a forum (or forums) > Manage groups (choose groups) > Edit permissions > Advanced permissions > Post > Can post stickies

tittiger

Post by tittiger »

Mick wrote:

That is what I have been doing Mick and you can only change the advanced permission for admin on one group at a time! And it is VERY time consuming because you go back to the beginning after each change.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

tittiger wrote:you can only change the advanced permission for admin on one group at a time!
You've totally confused me now!

Basically you select forum permissions and the forums, then the group (admins I presume in this case) edit permissions and select advanced permissions - job done.

tittiger

Adding admin sticky perms to multiple forums at once?

Post by tittiger »

I keep getting this answer:

Admin Control Panel > Permissions > Forum permissions > Select a forum (or forums) > Manage groups (choose groups) > Edit permissions > Advanced permissions > Post > Can post stickies

and it only allows you to add the sticky perm to one forum at a time. I have 25 forums and could be at this a long long time especially if I have to add changes or later decide that another group needs this perm.

Let me ask again.... is there a way to add the sticky perm for admins for all forums in one step and not in my case, 25 steps?

Thanks
Joe in Missouri

tittiger

Re: Adding admin sticky perms to multiple forums at once?

Post by tittiger »

I think I answered my own question ... I by passed special permissions and just gave the admin group full
permissions in all forums with the drop downs. This was much faster than changing the special permissions of each forum for the admins.

Nux

Post by Nux »

I think this should also work when you set it up in: Panel -> Permissions tab -> Global group permissions. I'm not sure because I already changed settings for all forums one by one before I noticed this :-).
My page: DOM, Javascript, SQL - tips&scripts (mostly in Polish, sorry ;))

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”