phpbb3 with gmail

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jaylam13

phpbb3 with gmail

Post by jaylam13 »

Hi,

I am trying to set my board to use gmail to send out its e mails but cannot get it working.

I have followed the instructions but no e mails send and I get no errors.

I have enabled pop3 in gmail and my phpbb settings are as follows:

smtp server name: tls://smtp.gmail.com
smtp server port: 465
Authentication: PLAIN

can anyone help?

Jay
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: phpbb3 with gmail

Post by Mick »

Have a look at Support/Email Troubleshooting and check out the section on error logs.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
jaylam13

Post by jaylam13 »

Mixstar wrote:Have a look at Support/Email Troubleshooting and check out the section on error logs.

ah ok thanks, im getting these errors:

E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/cron.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>979</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:995 (Connection timed out)</b><br />

» EMAIL/SMTP
/memberlist.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>979</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:995 (Connection timed out)</b><br />
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out means that a connection to your mail service failed. Make sure you have the correct entry in SMTP Server address. Have a look at this, maybe it will help http://www.ktuk.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... il#p156261. If none of that helps you may have to contact Google or have you considered using the default php sendmail or your hosts SMTP?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
jaylam13

Post by jaylam13 »

Mixstar wrote:Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out means that a connection to your mail service failed. Make sure you have the correct entry in SMTP Server address. Have a look at this, maybe it will help http://www.ktuk.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... il#p156261. If none of that helps you may have to contact Google or have you considered using the default php sendmail or your hosts SMTP?
I was using my host smtp but it is using a lot of bandwidth so thought I would use googles instead, its weird as my setting match that article but just does not work.

Nevermind, thanks for the info though. :)

Jay
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

You should check with your host whether they allow external SMTP servers to be used, some don't.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
jaylam13

Post by jaylam13 »

Oyabun1 wrote:You should check with your host whether they allow external SMTP servers to be used, some don't.
I checked shortly after my first post, they do. Just doesn't want to work :(

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”