Birthdate, age & Coppa

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
datkeoniguy

Birthdate, age & Coppa

Post by datkeoniguy »

One of the problems with showing birthdays and age on a forum directed to teens is that as teens come and go, their birthday and age remain year after year. It looks a little strange then after a few years to see Congratulations to Shangie (25), missionplace (23) and so on -long after they have been teens. I don't mind the names showing up but is there any way to remove the ages without doing each one manually on the birthday date.

Speaking of age, a second problem is that on a teen site, every week at least we have someone make a mistake on the COPPA birthday statement. Some new members get quite upset about this and tell me they are over 13. I have to nicely tell them that they made a mistake. Maybe this isn't a problem for some with older members but it is for me. This almost never happened when the statement was "I am over... under 13 years of age" which is MUCH easier to understand. Is there a way to edit this statement to make it clearer for everyone.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Birthdate, age & Coppa

Post by Oyabun1 »

You could use a MOD like, Prime Birthdate Require, which requires users to enter their birth date at the time of registration (anybody old enough to join should know when they were born), it also allows users to choose whether to display their age (displaying their age should be discouraged for younger users).
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Birthdate, age & Coppa

Post by D¡cky »

datkeoniguy wrote: is there any way to remove the ages without doing each one manually on the birthday date.
There is no easy way to remove the age. It has to be done individually for each member by removing the year from the birthdate.
datkeoniguy wrote:"I am over... under 13 years of age" which is MUCH easier to understand. Is there a way to edit this statement to make it clearer for everyone.
There are 3 variables involved:
UCP_COPPA_BEFORE
UCP_COPPA_ON_AFTER
COPPA_BIRTHDAY
Open language/en/ucp.php to find these variables.

When working on language files, make sure that the encoding is set to UTF-8 w/o BOM when editing and when saving.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”