IRC server for phpBB

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Hans Borjes

IRC server for phpBB

Post by Hans Borjes »

Hi,

I am running a phpBB Forum that contains an AJAX chat. AJAX does not work that well on non Flash enabled devices, e.g. iPhone, iPad, iPod because AJAX chat sockets require flash. I addition the AJAX UI is difficult to use on smartphones.

That's why I am thinking to install in IRC server, because it would enable users to use an IRC web client provided by my webserver or an IRC client running on a smartphone or tablet.

The key here seems to find an IRC server that runs on Debian an integrates nicely with phpBB.
  1. User authentication via database that contains the phpBB users and passwords
  2. Displaying users online in IRC chat on the phpBB index page
both in the same way as AJAX chat does.

Any recommendations which IRC server has those capabilities would be appreciated!

Best, Hans

noth

Re: IRC server for phpBB

Post by noth »

phpBB has a very long history with IRC

we used PJIRC and very sadly :( PJIRC has been abandoned, quite rightly too, what a shame it did not receive the upgrade it urgently needed :?

AJAX chat has served me well since it emerged, soon after phpBB3 launched, very nice

however mChat http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/m ... w_version/ is really superb, it suits phpBB3 extremely well and is quite honestly THE WAY TO GO :D I personally recomend it and have installed it (several times)

Hans Borjes

Post by Hans Borjes »

noth wrote: we used PJIRC and very sadly :( PJIRC has been abandoned, quite rightly too, what a shame it did not receive the upgrade it urgently needed :?
PJIRC seems to cause many security related warnings for the users. Not acceptable for non-technical users on my forum.
noth wrote:AJAX chat has served me well since it emerged, soon after phpBB3 launched, very nice
Mee, too.
noth wrote:however mChat http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/m ... w_version/ is really superb, it suits phpBB3 extremely well and is quite honestly THE WAY TO GO :D I personally recomend it and have installed it (several times)
mChat is not an IRC server, right?

Anyone who has experience with current versions of IRC servers? It seems to me that LDAP might be an option to integrate phpBB 3.0.9 and inspircd, because both can handle LDAP authentication.

But what would that mean for
  1. Migration of my current user/password database to LDAP?
  2. New users registering on phpBB? How will they be handled by phpBB/their data forwarded to LDAP?
Is my assumption correct that inspircd authentication module with md5 support will not work with phpBB 3.0.9?

I would assume that there is a working phpBB/IRC combo.

LittleTiger
Name: Sandra

Post by LittleTiger »

I recently added an IRC channel for my members, and I linked a web client to my board by setting up a new forum as a link. It works well. I don't much like the web client aesthetically ... but my members are using it. Anyway, I set up on irc.rizon.net and used their web client (since it was configurable to take them straight to our channel) if it helps. We also added a link in a forum post for mibbit web client with instructions.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”