Copying forum permissions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Thanks in advance

Copying forum permissions

Post by Thanks in advance »

I have somewhat of a newbie question: On my test-board I realized that the "Copy forum permissions" function runs really fast, even on shared hosting and with hundreds of forums. Could I just update the group forum permissions for one forum as I want them to have and then copy the permissions to all others. When copying the permissions and marking all 500 at once, this includes not just sub(forums) but categories as well. Is this a problem that must be avoided (meaning I have to mark everything except the categories). What would be the consequence of copying forum permissions to a category (which phpBB let's one).

Thanks in advance!
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Copying forum permissions

Post by Brf »

There is no harm in copying posting permissions to categories.
Thanks in advance

I'm a little bit confused about the term "posting permissions" instead of "forum permissions" :oops:. But to sum it up: It's fine to set up group's forum permissions for one (sub)forum and then use the "copy forum permissions" function while marking all elements (including forums, subforums and categories). Nothing bad will happen, like users being able to start threads in categories then? Or will exactly this be the case?

Thanks!
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

It does not harm. Forums of the Category type do not allow posting regardless that permission.

Why don't you try it, since you appear to have a testboard?
Thanks in advance

Will do. Just wanted to be on the safe side. Thanks.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Yes. That is what I meant by "posting permissions" -- the permissions that allow posting, such as "Can start new topics", or "Can reply to topics". The code will not allow posting in Category Forums, so it causes no harm to grant that type of permissions to those forums.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”