Unwanted registering

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
GoEk

Unwanted registering

Post by GoEk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi,
just went on-line with the forum and in a few days I have three advertising posts completely unrelated to the forum function.

How do they find me!? Is it possible to auto/bot-find phpBB forums and also auto/bot-register on the forum? Is there any good way to prevent "bozo" registering?

Thanks
Goran

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Unwanted registering

Post by KevC » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 pm

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

GoEk

Post by GoEk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Followup to my post. I changed the antispam method to Q&A and removed all junk registrations and posts and as soon as I did that I received MASSIVE forum traffic from Ukraine, I can only assume it was an attack to crack the forum. The traffic statistics registered thousands of visits from all Windows OS types that has ever been in existance (except DOS) and it continued for two full days.

Thankfully the forum remains uncracked and now all seems calm again, thanks for your help!

femu

Post by femu » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

You can try my small mod DM Hacker Check (DL over here). Since I have running this one, those hackers still exists, but they are blocked and my boards are clean. And of course the users should be activated by email! So this way they need to enter a valid email address ....
Regards, femu

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:03 pm

GoEk wrote:Followup to my post. I changed the antispam method to Q&A and removed all junk registrations and posts and as soon as I did that I received MASSIVE forum traffic from Ukraine, I can only assume it was an attack to crack the forum. The traffic statistics registered thousands of visits from all Windows OS types that has ever been in existance (except DOS) and it continued for two full days.
I don't think that they were trying to crack your board; they were probably just punishing you with a DDOS for removing their spam.

I also got a DDOS for deleting spam a year ago.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Big John

Post by Big John » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm

What is a DDOS? I keep getting the same few spammers over and over. I have banned their e-mail and IP but somehow they keep coming back.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:08 am

Big John wrote:What is a DDOS?
Distributed Denial Of Service attack. I bet Googling DDOS would have gotten you an answer faster. ;-)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

GoEk

Post by GoEk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:05 am

Pony99CA wrote: I don't think that they were trying to crack your board; they were probably just punishing you with a DDOS for removing their spam.

I also got a DDOS for deleting spam a year ago.

Steve
Yeah, that was my second thought but there must be THOUSANDS of forums out there, why bother so personally about mine!? Isn't the spamming a more or less automated, software driven activity? Do they have a built-in "damn, they blocked me, lets's DOS the idiot" function in their spamming software or is it an actual person behind it?

Big John

Post by Big John » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Pony99CA wrote:
Big John wrote:What is a DDOS?
Distributed Denial Of Service attack. I bet Googling DDOS would have gotten you an answer faster. ;-)

Steve
I don't use google for my site. I use phpbb so why shouldn't I ask it here?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Big John wrote:I don't use google for my site. I use phpbb so why shouldn't I ask it here?
Steve is saying to do a search on Google. This site isn't a general web support site but is specifically for phpBB support.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Big John

Post by Big John » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 pm

I;m just trying to learn what some of the terms being used here mean.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:17 am

I understand that, but you need to understand that this is NOT a general web support site.

Definitions of many of the phpBB related terms are in Terms section of the Documentation.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Big John

Post by Big John » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42 am

Then WHY in Gods name did you bring it up on here. Did IT hurt that I asked a friging question. I get this crap all the time on here. No matter how nice I try to be I get this crap!!! It took one minute to tell me. I end my posts with Thank you everytime someone helps me. I am trying to learn this stuff but i'm getting sick of the come backs. You need a dang lawyer with you when you make a post here to make sure your not asking the wrong thing or in the wrong place or you just shouldn't have asked it at all! DDOS was brought up here, ON the Phpbb site. I asked what it meant. Crap, i'm guilty, ban me, sue me, write me a stupid reply.If you notice I didn't just ask about that term, I followed it in the same sentence with my reason for asking it. I'm at a loss on what I can ask here. Unwanted registering
by Big John » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:47 pm

What is a DDOS? I keep getting the same few spammers over and over. I have banned their e-mail and IP but somehow they keep coming back.

(I don't think that they were trying to crack your board; they were probably just punishing you with a DDOS for removing their spam.)

/a3

Post by /a3 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:57 am

Big John wrote:Then WHY in Gods name did you bring it up on here. Did IT hurt that I asked a friging question. I get this crap all the time on here. No matter how nice I try to be I get this crap!!! It took one minute to tell me. I end my posts with Thank you everytime someone helps me. I am trying to learn this stuff but i'm getting sick of the come backs.
I don't think anyone intended to offend; I think Steve and Bill were just trying to say that you might have got a better response on the internet. You might find this useful: DDoS (wikipedia).
Big John wrote:I have banned their e-mail and IP but somehow they keep coming back.
From experience I can tell you that banning IPs and emails won't help, unless you notice the same IP/email is being used over and over again. You'd be better off using the Q&A CAPTCHA with non-Googleable questions.

To answer the OP, I would agree that the DDoS might either be random or to punish for preventing spam. Probably the only thing you can do is contact your host and wait for the attack to stop.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Big John

Post by Big John » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 am

Thank you for you advice and reply.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”