Disable Subscription Emails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DrSuSE

Disable Subscription Emails

Post by DrSuSE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 am

Hi there! I searched around a lot for this, and found several similar topics, but they all seemed to sort of drift off...

What I'd like is to disable (either globally or even some sort of user option) emails for subscriptions.

I realize there is a bookmark feature. The reason that doesn't work is that the majority of our users will use Tapatalk. Subscribing in vB for example, gives a few options for notification type. Certainly love phpBB and not saying it needs to mirror some other forum.

Ideally though, being able to continue to manage subscriptions within the app without getting emails would be great.

Very option to suggestions.

Thanks.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:36 am

Admin Control Panel > General tab > Board features
  • Allow subscribing to topics: = No
    Allow subscribing to forums: = No
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

DrSuSE

Post by DrSuSE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Hrm... won't that disallow subscribing in general? My goal is to allow subscriptions but just turn off the notification emails that result.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm

But, with phpBB the only reason to be subscribed is to receive notification emails, so there doesn't seem to be much point in separating the functions.

Anyway, with standard phpBB you can't do it. You would need a MOD to do that. You could post a request in the [3.0.x] MOD Requests forum.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

DrSuSE

Post by DrSuSE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I apologize if I am being more vague than I realize.

The points:

1) Since most users are mobile tapatalk users, this would make it work with that usage case more effectively.
2) Doesn't seem like you can bookmark forums, only specific threads/topics.

I will do as you suggest and post in the mod request forum.

Thanks.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

You CAN subscribe to entire forums.

But the ONLY consequence of subscribing is to get an email. So there is no point in subscribing if no email will be sent.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

DrSuSE

Post by DrSuSE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:51 pm

stevemaury wrote:You CAN subscribe to entire forums.

But the ONLY consequence of subscribing is to get an email. So there is no point in subscribing if no email will be sent.
There must be some sort of communication break down or I am really missing something.

I said bookmark, not subscribe.

Ideal situation:

Subscribe to whatever you want so that it shows up in Tapatalk (bookmarks do not) but not get emails.

Alternatively, if you could bookmark (which is what I said before) entire forums (not the topics within them) I could ask the Tapatalk boys about supporting this in their software.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Uh, no. Look at the title of your topic.

But if you are referring to the "Manage Subscriptions" and "Manage Bookmarks" tabs in the UCP, you cannot Bookmark a Forum, but you can subscribe to a forum to create an artificial bookmark in the Manage Subscriptions tab.

Thanks to Brf.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

DrSuSE

Post by DrSuSE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:09 pm

You weren't replying to just the OP (or title) you replied to a comment I had posted after several back and forth posts. My guess is you didn't read them (or understand them).

Anyway... I do sincerely appreciate the responses, though I think you're missing the point.

So for your "Uh. no" I'd so... "uh, yes... look at the whole conversation."

I was giving alternative means that I might be able to achieve the desired end result. Explaining why both subscriptions and bookmarks in phpBB do not meet my "ideal" out of the box and looking for assistance.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm

OK, you cannot Bookmark forums, only topics. To do otherwise would need a MOD.

DrSuSE

Post by DrSuSE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks again for your time and effort. I believe that necessity (a mod) holds true for both routes.

Take care.

the sr5

Post by the sr5 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 am

I know exactly what he's looking for! I am currently using TapaTalk. Let me see if I can try to explain this any better.

In tapatalk, there is a feature to receive a notification through tapatalk. This is essentially replacing the email function, BUT in phpbb there is no way to disable this email... So instead of just getting the tapatalk notification you ALSO receive an email as well, but if users are using tapatalk for its notification process the email is essentially useless! If there were a function to disable emails for subscriptions this would correct this issue.. Since in order to receive a notifications IN TAPATALK you must be subscribed to that thread or category.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 am

@the sr5: Why are you replying to a year old topic? What you're essentially saying is phpBB should modify it's core software to accommodate Tapatalk? A MOD would be the way to go, as previously mentioned and, in any case, the OP hasn't visited since Apr 2012 so I doubt this will be of any use to him.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

the sr5

Post by the sr5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Because i still havent found out how to do this on my forum, almost all of my users use Tapatalk and want to use the push features with it, but unfortunately when you subscribe to the thread it sends an email AND a notification through tapatalk. Im trying to find a way to disable the email portion.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:01 pm

As Mick explained, we do not make changes to phpBB simply to accomodate a Mod. The solution here would be to have the Tapatalk authors fix their mod so it works properly.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”