Disable Subscription Emails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Triade
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by Triade » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:01 am

Tapatalk work properly.
What the st5 request (and so do i) is the option to not recive email even having subscription.

I don't use notification issue to recieve emails but to have all the forums i follow in 1 page in my control panel (having a forum with 50+ subforums) beacause i have no other choise.

User avatar
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Posts: 23162
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Australia
Name: Bill

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 am

Triade wrote:Tapatalk work properly.
Tapatalk is providing an additional notification method without providing a way to disable the standard method. The standard notification method is fine for standard phpBB. So, the problem caused by the MOD not standard phpBB.

As has been stated multiple times already, it can't be done with standard phpBB and therefore requires a MOD. This forum is not the appropriate place to request a MOD, that would be the [3.0.x] MOD Requests forum.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

therainbowrepublic
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 am

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by therainbowrepublic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 am

Just here to add my support to the OP. I would also like to disable subscription emails. Even my users without Tapatalk shouldn't be getting them. Or, at least, they should be able to choose, without having to unsubscribe.

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66328
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 pm

once again, the only reason to subscribe is to get the email. there is no other benefit. that is the only pupose of the subscribe function.
If you do not want to get the emails then what do you expect to get from being subscribed to a topic/forum etc.?


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

therainbowrepublic
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 am

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by therainbowrepublic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:once again, the only reason to subscribe is to get the email. there is no other benefit. that is the only pupose of the subscribe function.
If you do not want to get the emails then what do you expect to get from being subscribed to a topic/forum etc.?


robert
Why do you think people keep asking? There's a reason.

To keep track of topics you are interested in. That's what subscribe means on the Internet. I subscribe to RSS feeds, but I don't receive emails every time they update.

phpbb allows you to view your subscribed topics in your cp. The unread CSS class in the template highlights the ones with new replies. The emails are unnecessary. At least they should be optional.

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16180
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by david63 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:26 pm

therainbowrepublic wrote:Why do you think people keep asking? There's a reason.

To keep track of topics you are interested in.
Then bookmark them
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 51726
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Contact:

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by Brf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Yes. That is the purpose of bookmarks -- to keep track of the topics you are interested in.
The purpose of subscriptions is to receive notifications.

therainbowrepublic
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 am

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by therainbowrepublic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:38 pm

david63 wrote:
therainbowrepublic wrote:Why do you think people keep asking? There's a reason.

To keep track of topics you are interested in.
Then bookmark them
Brf wrote:Yes. That is the purpose of bookmarks -- to keep track of the topics you are interested in.
The purpose of subscriptions is to receive notifications.
I responded to the "bookmark solution" in another thread:
therainbowrepublic wrote:
Oyabun1 wrote:
therainbowrepublic wrote:Edit: the email notifications on subscribed topics are a problem. Is there a way to turn that off?
Oyabun1 wrote:There is no option to subscribe to a topic but not receive notifications. However, to make note of a topic, but not receive notification of new posts you bookmark it, you don't subscribe to it.
I have to say, it doesn't make sense to duplicate subscriptions snd create an entirely new feature just to subscribe without email notifications. A simple setting to disable emails would be more useful. =/ In my opinion, of course.

I'm still looking for a way to disable email notifications while keeping users subscribed, because many of my users have low-speed network, and rely on Tapatalk, which uses phpbb's subscriptions.

Before you say it's a Tapatalk issue, you just admitted that users need to track topics without receiving emails or there wouldn't be a "bookmark" feature.

User avatar
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 51726
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Contact:

Re: Disable Subscription Emails

Post by Brf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:44 pm

The answer is still the same:

If you want a notification, use subscriptions.
If you do not want a notification, use bookmarks.

There is no need to continue this discussion about trying to accommodate a 3rd-party mod.

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”