Ban user

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
emtohio
Name: Dave Stevens

Ban user

Post by emtohio »

When I ban a user by their IP, and then delete the user, does this remove the banner IP? or does it prevent them from registering again.

thanks
estXcrew

Re: Ban user

Post by estXcrew »

i think the ban remains..because the IP you banned will not be deleted form banned list
emtohio
Name: Dave Stevens

Post by emtohio »

thanks because I ban a user and then I keep getting a very similar username that registers for SPAM. The username is always similar to this "emolbommund"
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

emtohio wrote:When I ban a user by their IP, and then delete the user, does this remove the banner IP? or does it prevent them from registering again.
After you deleted the user, did you check the ACP's list of banned IP addresses?
emtohio wrote:I ban a user and then I keep getting a very similar username that registers for SPAM. The username is always similar to this "emolbommund"
Did you check the IP addresses of those users?

Generally, I only ban an IP address if I get spam from it multiple times. IP addresses aren't always fixed for a given PC, so the IP address that belongs to a spammer today could belong to a legitimate user tomorrow.

If the usernames are always similar, I use the Disallow usernames feature.

Also, if you're not using the Q&A CAPTCHA, you should check it out.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”