I am the Admin but forgot password

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Mhorner96

I am the Admin but forgot password

Post by Mhorner96 »

First - if this is posted somewhere I apologize in advance. I know how frustrating it is to answer the same question but I really couldn't find anything for this.

I am the admin and set up the message board for a client of mine. I also monitor the message board and everything else related to it. My laptop crashed and took my passwords and log-ins with it. I am now attempting to get back on to the board with the Admin log-in and can't remember the password. I have clicked on "forgot my password" but it keeps telling me that there is no user with that user name or email address.

Is there anyway I can get this figured out?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: I am the Admin but forgot password

Post by KevC »

Does anyone else have admin access or do you have access to the database?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Mhorner96

Post by Mhorner96 »

I am the only one with admin access to the board and to be quite honest I am not sure I have access to the database. (Sorry - this is one of those times I feel so computer illiterate.)
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Are you sure you're getting the Username right? ON my board I've had people message me they can't get on and it's normally because they are misspelling their username
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Are there any other users who can confirm your exact username or is it in any posts you can see? You could also create a new account and look on the team page for the username.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Mhorner96

Post by Mhorner96 »

Thanks Cpt! But what I am attempting to do is log-in as the Admin and the username for that is Admin. I think the issue is in I can't figure out what email is associated with the Admin account.

There are 3 emails that I could have used to set-up the Admin account up with, but no matter which email I try it tells me "The e-mail/username information submitted could not be found."

I guess my question should be modified to ask if there is a way that my Admin access can be reset so I can update the password and get my admin rights back without having to completely delete the board and start all over again.

Kevin - my issue is that I need to log on as the Admin in order to gain access to the administrator's panel. Does that make sense?
Mhorner96

Post by Mhorner96 »

Here is the information from the first post I entered on the board -

admin
Site Admin

So, I know the username is admin. But I can't recall the email I used with the username so that I can retrieve the password.

I'm trying to figure out how to retreive the password for the admin, when the admin is the only one who has access to all that information.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The email address for the admin account is probably on the registration page.

There's usually a link for people who can't read the antispam captcha.
Mhorner96 wrote:I guess my question should be modified to ask if there is a way that my Admin access can be reset so I can update the password and get my admin rights back without having to completely delete the board and start all over again.
Only if you have access to the database or someone else can get to the admin panel.
Cheap UK Hosting
Mhorner96

Post by Mhorner96 »

That's what I was afraid of. Without knowing the email associated with the Admin I can't retrieve the password to log in and there's no way to bypass that.

So the only alternative I have is to delete the message board and start over. Ugh.

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it. :)

Myra
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If it's a board where you are the only member and you have no access to the database then yes. If you can't make a new account (which might be able to see the admin email address based on the permissions of the board when you set it up) then you don't really have any options.

Installing a board only takes 5 minutes.

Have you tried searching your email accounts for the board name in the hope you kept the activation email?
Cheap UK Hosting
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Do you have FTP access to the files?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”