how to block domestic users?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
onwhat

how to block domestic users?

Post by onwhat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:14 am

I want to block domestic users (from China), then it can be viewed only by oversea users. what i can do to meet that? thanks a lot.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: how to block domestic users?

Post by Oyabun1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am

The last time I saw a list there were over 330 million IP addresses allocated to China. To try to ban those in phpBB would just kill your board because of the load that would place on the database.

If you are on a server that uses .htaccess files you could add entries to that file to block IP ranges, but because of the number of ranges involved that would likely adversely affect performance of your site as well.

However, what you are trying to do is outside the scope of this site. If you have access to Google or another search engine you should make searches for ways to do it.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

onwhat

Post by onwhat » Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 am

tks.

CaNNon_

Post by CaNNon_ » Tue May 01, 2012 2:32 pm

You can do this with .htaccess, the ip's can be found in this doc.
http://www.spambutcher.com/htsample.txt
Just scroll down to china and copy those blocks and add them to your .htaccess file. Please note using large htaccess files can slow your site you should only do some thing like this if you have no other options.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”