[Discuss] Preventing Spam in phpBB3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Re: [Discuss] Preventing Spam in phpBB3

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello zengalileo,
at the code posted under: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122696
FIND:

Code: Select all

if ($data['tz'] == -12)
REPLACE-WITH:

if ($data['tz'] == -12 || $data['tz'] == 12)
IMO the whole code snipset is quite a quick&dirty solution. Perhaps not alot of people are living in UTC+12 and UTC-12. ;) But these are legitimate or legal timezones. :!:

Spambots are selecting the first or the last entry of the dropdown menue automatically. It doesn't matter which string is displayed.
BTW: There is a MOD which adds new extra entries to the begin and the end of the dropdown menue only for new registrations. I'm the MOD author. So I'm not allowed to tell you the name of the MOD.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Denkster wrote:Is there anybody who knows how to do this:

posts, made by a member who has a post disapproved or marked for manual approval before, require manual approval

This would mean posts of these posters need not to be analyzed.
What? If you put a user on manual approval, their posts would need to be analyzed -- unless you never planned to approve those posts, in which case you might as well just delete the spammer.

That said, you could create a group that has Can post without approval set to Never and move the user into the group when deleting or disapproving a post. That would require both Moderator and Admin permissions, of course.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

buksida

Post by buksida »

I have two forums and they're both getting hammered everyday by hundreds of spambot accounts. I've tried the following yet still they come:

Q&A captcha
No links for newly registered users Mod
Admin approval on new registrations (smaller forum only)
Block UTC 12 registrations

These options will stop 90% of them posting, but they're still registering and logging in, how do you stop that?

I know the Mod will probably tell me off, but I've tried all the options in the OP and still they come. If this is not the place to discuss spam, please move this post to the appropriate thread.

Thanks.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

buksida wrote:I have two forums and they're both getting hammered everyday by hundreds of spambot accounts. I've tried the following yet still they come:

Q&A captcha
No links for newly registered users Mod
Admin approval on new registrations (smaller forum only)
Block UTC 12 registrations
Without a link to your board, it's hard to say. I'll guess that your question in the Q&A CAPTCHA isn't very good.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the quick reply, we are a regional board (www.huahinforum.com) offering info and a guide on a tourist location so the Q&A is 'what is the capital city of the country we're located in?'

Any suggestions for a better one?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

The one you are using now is better.

Questions need to be something that is not easy to find the answer to via a search engine, so capital cities, names of leaders, and things like that are usually not very good.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

/a3

Post by /a3 »

buksida wrote:These options will stop 90% of them posting, but they're still registering and logging in, how do you stop that?
Also, check your Inactive Users in the ACP.

It may seem like spambots are still registering; when they may have already registered and are waiting to be activated via email.

Other than that, you may just have to wait for the already-registered spambots to go away. On a board I once moderated, it slowed down over a couple of weeks, since most spambots are programmed to spam straight away.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks again, yes I've change the Q&A now so we'll see if that stops them.

There are about 2500 spam accounts in the waiting to be activated queue but since they cant access the board and don't show up they can stay there. I just wanted to stop the bots registering and logging in, hopefully the new question plus the 'no links' mod will do this.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

A "no links" MOD won't stop spambots from registering because they won't know they can't post links until after they have registered. The Q&A should stop them, however.

To delete a large number of inactive users

Admin Cotrol Panel > General tab > Board Configuration > Post settings > Topics per page
Temporarily set that to 100

Then in the Inactive users area > View inactive users > Mark all > Delete

Repeat as necessary to delete all the inactives. Then reset the Topics per page to what it was before.
                      Support Request Template

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

With regard to the "Blocking UTC-12 Registrations" code supplied in the "Preventing Spam in phpBB3 Topic", I've noticed the code to search for, is not correct. So far, from what I can tell, the section of code below is completely missing from the default ucp_register.php file.

'confirm_code'      => request_var('confirm_code', ''),
When applying MODs, usually the code supplied to Find is mostly the same as the default install, but not always exact, due to current board version, or any MODs installed, etc. With the current Find code mismatch, is the code to use correct, or does it need to be updated first?

The version of phpBB I have installed is 3.0.9. With this current implementation of phpBB, to prevent spam, I would ideally like to use the Q&A Captcha, Blocking UTC-12 Registrations, Newly Registered Users Group, User Account Activation by Email, as well as some non-standard rules with regard to Usernames & Passwords.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

There does seem to be an issue there and I've contacted the author about it. Thank you for reporting it.

The find in 3.0.9 would be:

$data = array(
			'username'			=> utf8_normalize_nfc(request_var('username', '', true)),
			'new_password'		=> request_var('new_password', '', true),
			'password_confirm'	=> request_var('password_confirm', '', true),
			'email'				=> strtolower(request_var('email', '')),
			'email_confirm'		=> strtolower(request_var('email_confirm', '')),
			'lang'				=> basename(request_var('lang', $user->lang_name)),
			'tz'				=> request_var('tz', (float) $timezone),
		);
                      Support Request Template

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:IMO the whole code snipset is quite a quick&dirty solution. Perhaps not alot of people are living in UTC+12 and UTC-12. ;) But these are legitimate or legal timezones. :!:
Nobody is living there ;)
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:IMO the whole code snipset is quite a quick&dirty solution. Perhaps not alot of people are living in UTC+12 and UTC-12. ;) But these are legitimate or legal timezones. :!:
Nobody is living there ;)
correct. If I remember correctly, the 12 timezones are in the middle of the ocean.

:lol: :lol:

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:correct. If I remember correctly, the 12 timezones are in the middle of the ocean.
:lol: :lol:

robert
There are some small islands which are located in the timezones specified, but they are wildlife sanctuary's. Only certain members of specific wildlife organizations are allowed to visit there, but not very regularly. The islands are under strict control.

Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
BTW: Some spammers are selecting UTC+12 automatically. New Zealand and other islands and countries are using UTC+12. Do you want to disallow UTC+12, too?
So what's better? Make legimate timezones bad timezones or to add two special spammer timezones only for user registration?
For me it doesn't matter if people at the moment are living on Baker Island and Howlandisland, or not. UTC-12 is a legitimate value. That's fact.
Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”