Deleting a group

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
datkeoniguy

Deleting a group

Post by datkeoniguy »

I have a forum with about 3000 registered members. 2000 of these members are in a Special group which is their default group. There are also some other Moderator groups and committee groups. I want to do away with this Special group. If I make the permissions of the Special group = the permissions of the Registered Members group, there is no longer a need for the Special group. If I just delete the Special group, will all of it's members automatically have the default group status in Registered Members? I don't want to delete any members.

HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Re: Deleting a group

Post by HGN »

All users should be member of the Registered Users group, regardless of any other groups they are member of.

Whenever you remove a group, all members who had that group as standard group, will get the Registered Users group as standard group.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

If you delete a usergroup, and a user has that group as their default group, then their default group would be set to the first one of these that the user is a member of:
Administrators, Global Moderators, Newly Reg'd Users, Registered Users, Bots, or Guests.

Hmmm.... It appears that routine has a bug. The order it checks is:

Guests first, then Registered Users

datkeoniguy

Post by datkeoniguy »

I sure wouldn't want all those in the Special group to end up in Guests!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Why would they end up there? You're not moving anything, you're removing. In any case, if you're not sure, backup the database and have a go or try it on a test server first on your PC Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

datkeoniguy wrote:I sure wouldn't want all those in the Special group to end up in Guests!
Since the users from the group you are removing do not belong to the Guest group, their standard group can't become the Guest group.

So as I said before:
HGN wrote:All users should be member of the Registered Users group, regardless of any other groups they are member of.

Whenever you remove a group, all members who had that group as standard group, will get the Registered Users group as standard group.

datkeoniguy

Post by datkeoniguy »

HGN wrote:All users should be member of the Registered Users group, regardless of any other groups they are member of.

That's what I thought would happen and what I want to happen. Thanks for all the input.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”