Embed phpbb into joomla

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
1nv1s1bl3

Embed phpbb into joomla

Post by 1nv1s1bl3 »

Hello all,

I'm searching for a nice tutorial on HOWTO embed phpbb into a joomla (2.5) website.
I know that I have to edit overall_footer/header.tpl files, but I don't know what exactly to modify.
Current theme of my phpbb forum is a modified skyblue.
DionDesigns

Re: Embed phpbb into joomla

Post by DionDesigns »

Try here: http://www.jfusion.org

Are you creating a new Joomla or phpBB3 installation? Or are both already established? I'm asking because the best jFusion configuration may NOT what the folks at jFusion and Joomla will tell you. If you have an established phpBB3 board and are creating a new Joomla site, set phpBB3 as the master application and Joomla as the slave. With this configuration, Joomla will correctly use the member/session information from phpBB3 and have NONE of the issues commonly reported by jFusion users. In addition, this configuration makes it possible to write Joomla modules/plugins which access phpBB3 core functions.
1nv1s1bl3

Post by 1nv1s1bl3 »

I know about jFusion, but thats not what I'm searching for. I don't want to integrate phpbb with joomla (yes, joomla is newly installed), I want to EMBED phpbb into my joomla site. What I mean is that phpbb opens inbetween joomlas header and footer (I hope you understood what I'm asking).
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There are no .tpl files in phpBB v3.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
1nv1s1bl3

Post by 1nv1s1bl3 »

My mistake. HTML.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well you can't quite "embed" it in joomla. however what you said is one way to make it look the same.

once you have your joomla site up and running with whatever theme you are using for it.

view source on your main page. take the html for the header section and put it in the overall_header.html file for whatever phpbb style you are using. I would find a style that is basically the same colors as our joomla theme.

then, if needed, you can do the same for the footer section and put it in the overall_footer.html file of the phpbb style.

you will then have to tweak the css so there are no conflicts and tweak some image paths etc.

not really easy to do but it works.

now, this will NOT make your joomla members and phpbb members be able to have only one login.

that is what jfusion is for. I think that jfusion also combines the user sharing with style sharing but you would have to talk to jusion about that.

luck,
robertt
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

1nv1s1bl3 wrote:I know about jFusion, but thats not what I'm searching for. I don't want to integrate phpbb with joomla (yes, joomla is newly installed), I want to EMBED phpbb into my joomla site. What I mean is that phpbb opens inbetween joomlas header and footer (I hope you understood what I'm asking).
Of course I understand what you're asking. I don't think you understand what I'm telling you. There is no way to accomplish what you want to do without using a bridge such as jFusion.

Although it's not a good solution for a new Joomla 2.5 installation and an established phpBB3 board, jFusion will allow you to embed phpBB3 into Joomla and use the Joomla header and footer.
Chico Gois
Translator

Post by Chico Gois »

I understand what you want to do, just integrating templates.

See this tutorial http://www.jfusion.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1816

This is my site Joomla / phpBB without jfusion.

http://www.mundophpbb.com.br/
Mundo phpBB
phpBB3, Joomla e algo mais...
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

That method is four years old and has a number of compatibility issues with Joomla 2.5, the biggest being javascript conflicts between the Joomla template and phpBB3 theme. There's a good reason why those who are successful with this "frameless" method always seem to have the basic Prosilver or subsilver2 themes installed in phpBB3.
1nv1s1bl3

Post by 1nv1s1bl3 »

DionDesigns wrote:That method is four years old and has a number of compatibility issues with Joomla 2.5, the biggest being javascript conflicts between the Joomla template and phpBB3 theme. There's a good reason why those who are successful with this "frameless" method always seem to have the basic Prosilver or subsilver2 themes installed in phpBB3.
Thanks for the reply's from everyone.

The above link in jfusions forums -> I tried that also, but I only managed to integrate/embed my forum using the prosilver template. My modified tempalate was waaay too buggy so I reverted the changes.

Isn't there a more effective/easy way to embed phpbb into my site, without using any components. My HTML knowledge is basic. I'm also quite surprised, that there are no tutorials in the net.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

You would probably get more support by asking on a Joomla support site.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
1nv1s1bl3

Post by 1nv1s1bl3 »

Oyabun1 wrote:You would probably get more support by asking on a Joomla support site.
I doubt it but I'll give it a try :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

1nv1s1bl3 wrote:
Oyabun1 wrote:You would probably get more support by asking on a Joomla support site.
I doubt it but I'll give it a try :)
did you miss this:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13168937

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
1nv1s1bl3

Post by 1nv1s1bl3 »

Nope, I didn't. But (as I mentioned before) -> "My HTML knowledge is basic" and I'm searching for a little more guidence.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

This isn't the right place to be asking how to use HTML, w3schools isn't a bad starting point. If you need a MOD or a tutorial to do whatever you want to do and you can't find one make a MOD request. If what you want to do is to do with styling your board, which I think is what you want, try asking in styles support and discussion.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”