Slow page loads (eventually no page loads) after upgrades

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
patchouly

Slow page loads (eventually no page loads) after upgrades

Post by patchouly »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? http://www.thestringnetwork.com
Who do you host your board with? My Own Server
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.10
What MODs do you have installed? ACP Add User MOD, Topic in "Who is Online", Show IP.
What styles do you currently have installed? Subsilver2
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
When did your problem begin? After updating my forum to the latest version of PHPBB3, I saw the notice about my version of PHP no longer being supported by newer versions of PHPbb3 I am running my own WAMP Stack, so I upgraded PHP to 5.4.6 and Apache to 2.4.3. shortly after and due to the slow page loading issues, I upgraded MySQL to 5.0.10.
Please describe your problem. At first, the forum ran really well. However, every once and a while, the page loads would be really slow. After several random, slow page loads, over a several hour period, it will suddenly stop loading all together and give nothing but time outs. Restarting Apache made it suddenly start loading the pages again.

After a day of this, it just stopped loading pages at all, even with an Apache restart. I backed up my database and upgraded MySQL. The forum ran like clock work again for a full day. This morning, it seems to be starting the problem all over again. The pages only load if I restart Apache. Then they load fine for about an hour. Another few hours and it will no longer load pages at all and I can't upgrade anything any further.

It's almost as though a cache is slowly filling up and once it's full, it no longer loads pages. Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated. We run a small forum and I'd hate to lose the members we have because of all these timeouts.
Generated by SRT Generator
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Slow page loads (eventually no page loads) after upgrade

Post by stevemaury »

Have you uncommented the debug statements in config.php? That will give you some information about what queries are an issue.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

I have not, but will try that. Where is the output from that query, stored?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Just look at the bottom of each page and click to see the results.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Ok, I ran it like that for an hour, refreshing the page every once and a while. So, far, no errors listed. Will update if I get a message I can post up.

Is there any other issues I could look into that are know to cause this type of problem?
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

It doesn't just show errors it also enables you to see details of the queries being run. You can click on the Explain link for more information about each query.
debug.png
debug.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on it.

As always, the support here is top notch! The work you guys do is much appreciated!
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Well, I seem to be no further ahead.

When the pages are loading fine, there are no issues listed. When the pages suddenly stop loading, I can't access the page to see the errors.

The forum stopped loading again, this morning. I connected to the server (with remote desktop) and it looks like everything is running fine. The MySQL database is still accessible, Apache is chugging away without issue. I'm not sure where to even start with this issue. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

So you can't see the Explain link when the page load stalls?

I have doubts that this is a phpBB issue.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

When the page fails to load, I get the cannot connect to server, message. However, everything on the server seems to be running fine.

Could there be an issue with the last update of the forum software, not playing nice with the newest versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL? (Not asking in an accusatory way; just wanting to rule that out as a possibility.)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

You can rule that out. There were no changes that would affect that.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Ok, I will turn my focus on the WAMP Stack. I know you guys don't offer support for that, but if anyone recognizes the issue and can offer advice, that would be great. If not, I understand.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Just an update in case someone else has this same issue.

I seem to have fixed the issue. I was running Windows XP SP2 in my WAMP stack. I updated to SP3 and ran a few extra updates to make sure .NET was fully updated. That seemed to do the trick. So far - knock on wood - It has continued to run without stopping.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”